New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Is there a way to disable the incessant password requirement?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dotdotdot

dotdotdot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 2.5 i5 8G RAM OS X 10.10 (12C60)

Every move I make seems to trigger the pop-up with a request for my Apple password.
It's annoying, just like Vista demanded a password. Change something in Preferences...password, please. When I download an update, (eg, Flash), again with the password. Update to my A/V...password.

I know it's for my own protection against something detrimental, but this boarders on the absurd. However, why would a legitimate app such as Flash, etc., trigger a red flag?

This was a big criticism with Vista, but is Apple getting a free pass here? Maybe I'm getting old...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Go to:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Security & Privacy
- "General" tab

Also check your "Sharing" preferences.

Check your settings here. It may help with some things.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Get rid of whatever A/V you downloaded. Don't need it. As for PWs, OSX asks for your PW whenever you are changing an application. And with the new Sandboxing function, it asks for it for any software trying to install from an unknown (to Apple) source, i.e., third-party websites. If you want to disable the sandbox protections, System Preferences, Security and Privacy, change the selection where it says "Allow applications downloaded from:" to whatever you want. "Anywhere" is the most open, but also most risky, as OSX gets out of the way of any install, including malware.

Flash is a resource hog. I don't have it installed, nor do I have Java. Both have security holes you can drive a truck through.
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

OK, that helped a bit, or I should say time will tell. Thank you. I clicked the "download app from anywhere" option without a password.

Anti virus (Avast) is here to stay. I know "it's not needed" but I hate surfing naked and don't buy for one minute that Macs are bullet proof in any aspect.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of

You don't like "surfing naked" so you install pretty-much useless A/V software but you disable the OSX security feature that would prevent any malware from installing without your permission?

I went the other way. No A/V until I hear about a real virus for Macs (there have been zero of these to date), but I keep my security pretty tight. I just loosened it up to allow the identified developers. I don't mind typing in my password to verify that I really do want to install something. I did kill Java and Flash, too many holes in them for my comfort level.
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

I'm after an easy Mac "experience", not to jump though hoops.

By the way, the only time I've been asked for a password I knew 100% of the time it was for, and from, a legitimate source, hence my rant about passwords.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

Yep, I only have to enter the PW when I install something I know about, too. But I also have the confidence that nothing is installed that I don't know about. With that protection turned off, you won't be able to say that.

EDIT: But that is your call. Just different approaches, that's all.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

That password requirement (which ONLY comes up when you are a) installing new software or b) making changes to the system, so you really shouldn't be seeing it much at all) is THE REASON Macs don't have viruses.

You've opted to go with a resource-sucking piece of crapware and turning off all security on your Mac because you're too lazy to *occasionally* put in your admin password?

I think I'm beginning to understand why viruses are so rampant on the PC platform ...
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

Well now.

Like I said, every single time I've been prompted to enter my password it was for a recognizable action. So, by disabling the password requirement I am getting rid of the annoyance, risk free.

Anti virus. It can suck all the resources it wants as I have an abundance of RAM (8G) and free disc space (475 GB). Is the A/V necessary? I don't care as it costs me nothing monetarily or in resources so I don't see why not, just in case.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

The A/V does cost resources. I takes cycles of the CPU and your time while it's doing its thing.

Here's the analogy. OSX provides protection to keep a burglar out of your house. It stops people that are suspicious, giving you the chance to decide to let them in, while permitting access to your known friends. You have disabled that protection, but hired a guard to shoot that burglar once he's in the house. That burglar needs to be fed, and he frisks every visitor, friendly or not, delaying arrival of friends.

Why not let OSX do what it does and not add unneeded delays?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Bottom line, your computer, you can do as you wish. Getting rid of the password requirement is a risk that you seem to be willing to take, and hoping that the A/V will catch potential threats is a gamble. While there aren't any virus' for OS X, giving ANY application free reign to install itself can definitely lead to all sorts of issues...

But, good luck with that..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Poolman

Poolman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
The A/V does cost resources. I takes cycles of the CPU and your time while it's doing its thing.

Here's the analogy. OSX provides protection to keep a burglar out of your house. It stops people that are suspicious, giving you the chance to decide to let them in, while permitting access to your known friends. You have disabled that protection, but hired a guard to shoot that burglar once he's in the house. That burglar needs to be fed, and he frisks every visitor, friendly or not, delaying arrival of friends.

Why not let OSX do what it does and not add unneeded delays?
I love this analogy
QUOTE Thanks
Thor-HoG

Thor-HoG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
If you want to disable the sandbox protections, System Preferences, Security and Privacy, change the selection where it says "Allow applications downloaded from:" to whatever you want. "Anywhere" is the most open, but also most risky, as OSX gets out of the way of any install, including malware.
Hi MacInWin - I'm compelled to reply as this isn't exactly correct. This method does not turn off sandbox protection at all. During install, OSX examines the code-signing certifcate used to sign the app. Apple has their own for Apple developed apps. Other apps on the AppStore have a "non-Apple-but-official-App-Store" certificate. This is how you can tell OSX to install only Apple, or only Apple and App Store, or "anywhere." "Anywhere apps" have no restrictions on code signing certificates. While Apple requires all apps on the App Store to code specifically to the Sandboxing feature, that has nothing to do with "turning it off." You CAN'T turn it off. Even with "Anywhere" selected, every single App Store apps, and many Apple apps, will run in a Sandbox. Now, it's my experience that non-App-Store 3rd party apps have chosen not to use sandboxing, but again, that has nothing to do with disabling Sandbox. For instance, FireFox is not sandboxed. If you asked me, that's crap as any browser should be required to run in a sandbox, but oh well.. Safari doesn't either :/

FWIW, you can look at what apps are or are not sandboxed by adding the "sandbox" column to Activity monitor. Or not. It's depressing. On my box "root" only has a few out of 55 Sandboxed. Anyway, thought I would throw that out there.
t
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Sandboxing is, as you say, a basic level of protection -- both from unstable apps causing system crashes and from malware trying to extend its reach. But sandboxing shouldn't be mistaken from the kind of protection setting it to "only allow installs of apps from the Mac App Store or signed Apple developers" does.

Updates will quickly change the number of apps you have that honor the sandboxing thing over the next [couple of] year or so. Developers don't really have much choice in the matter. Most people will leave the security settings on their default or the middle choice.

PS. I don't know what version of Safari you're using, but yes it is sandboxed. The *application* will read "no," but Safari Web Content (the WebKit engine) will read "yes."
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

I guess it's all a moot point as I got the pop-up prompt for my password for the anti-virus "data base update." I did check to make sure the box was still ticked for "anywhere" in Preferences > Security, and it was.

My iMac is protecting myself from myself!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best software to remove duplicate files and pictures | WinRAR for mac »