New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

External backup vs External hardware

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MACelmore

MACelmore is on a distinguished road

Hello all! I am buying the 2012 Macbook Air this weekend (maybe??? Still deciding if I should wait for the refresh, which has led to countless hours scouring Mac forums).

Anyway, I am going for the 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. Even the 256GB SSD won't be enough, so I'm going for the smaller SSD and will use an external hard drive to store the majority of my files such as music, documents, pictures, etc.

Is this a good idea?

Should I have two separate HDs, one for backing up what little files I'll have on my Mac, and one for the majority of my files? Or will one suffice?

I will be primarily using the MBA as a consumer.. light web browsing, grad school coursework, downloading and playing music, etc.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACelmore View Post
Anyway, I am going for the 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. Even the 256GB SSD won't be enough, so I'm going for the smaller SSD and will use an external hard drive to store the majority of my files such as music, documents, pictures, etc.

Is this a good idea?
In my humble opinion...no!

More than likely you're getting the MacBook Air for it's lighter weight, sleeker looking design, etc. But what's really the point if you have to carry an external hard drive with you everywhere...and have to constantly plug & unplug this external HD into the MacBook Air to have access to those files??

I understand that a 128gig or 256gig of flash storage isn't enough (and expensive). But if you need more storage...a MacBook Air + an external HD is really not the best way to go.

If you can live without the MacBook Air...then I would suggest getting a MacBook Pro with a 500gig or 750gig traditional hard drive...then remove the CD/DVD drive from it...and install a 128gig or 256gig internal SSD drive (if you really want a 2nd internal SSD).

Quote:
Should I have two separate HDs, one for backing up what little files I'll have on my Mac, and one for the majority of my files? Or will one suffice?
You always want a separate hard drive for your backups. So whatever computer you decide to get...you need at least one external HD just for backup purposes.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MACelmore

Thanks for the reply Nick. I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too . I'll have to make a decision I guess.

I may just put my iTunes onto the external HD and keep everything else on the SSD since I mainly need the portability to go to and from classes and such.

Again, thanks! Especially on specifying that I need two separate options for this.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I may just put my iTunes onto the external HD and keep everything else on the SSD since I mainly need the portability to go to and from classes and such.
A 13" MacBook Pro and a 13" MacBook Air are really equally as portable. We're really just talking a little bit of weight difference. And if you got a 13" MacBook Pro...you would have LOADS more internal storage!

With the MacBook Pro you have so much more flexibility:

- upgradeable ram (up to 16gig vs. 8gig for the MBA)
- upgradeable storage
- able to install two internal storage devices (or keep the CD/DVD drive installed).

FYI...the MacBook Air does not have an SSD inside...it has "flash storage".

Something to think about.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Well, the real question to ask yourself here is simply this: which files do I need access to ALL THE TIME?

For many people, their iTunes library primarily "lives" on their iPhone, so maybe you DON'T need to carry the whole iTunes library around on your notebook all the time -- syncing and stuff can be done with the cloud or when at home, so the iTunes library is a good candidate to "offload."

For some people, likewise the iPhoto Library. And Movies (in short, most media). This would save a lot of space on the boot drive of course, but it also makes your machine less fun when you're out and about!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
FYI...the MacBook Air does not have an SSD inside...it has "flash storage".

Something to think about.

- Nick
Um, what? Of course a MacBook Air has an SSD. What are you talking about here??
QUOTE Thanks
MACelmore

I just love the form factor of the Air so much. Perhaps it's not for me though. I'll have to go to the Apple store and play around with both of them. If paying a few more hundred dollars makes life much more easier, I suppose that would be worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
If you go to the Apple Store online...and check out the configuration pages for new notebooks...Apple always uses the terminology:

- "flash storage" for MacBook Airs and retina-MacBook Pro's (photo 1 below)
- SSD for "regular" 13" and 15" MacBook Pro's if upgrading from a rotational HD to an SSD (photo 2 below)

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I just love the form factor of the Air so much. Perhaps it's not for me though.
I'm really not trying to talk you out of purchasing a MBA.

But if you cannot bring all of your day to day necessary files with you (without an external HD)...then it sort of semi-defeats the purpose of the ultra portable/ulta-sleek MBA.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Regardless of the marketing-speak, they are all SSDs. Its not nice to confuse the newbs like that.
QUOTE Thanks
MACelmore

Quote:
I was just going to Google this one, but it confused me as well. The way I understand (understood?) SSD is a lighter, faster, version of HDD.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Regardless of the marketing-speak, they are all SSDs. Its not nice to confuse the newbs like that.
Come on chas....

Nick's terminology is correct. Someone who is new should appreciate learning the difference. How many newb posts have you read that confuse hard drive space with system memory? Maybe we shouldn't correct those either?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Take it easy buddy! This is the terminology Apple uses.

We live in an "Apple World"...and if someone is looking to purchase a new computer from Apple...this is the terminology Apple uses on the configuration and specification pages. So I actually am being consistent and clear...with the terms Apple uses.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MACelmore

I feel like there's some kind of ritual I have to go through to become an official member.

Buy a Mac
Know the Mac Bible word for word
Submit hair sample for Macliness
Sip blood from the Holy Cup

Joking! Thanks for the replies and clearing it up.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

If you can afford it, go Thunderbolt externals. The speed increase (over ANY USB or Firewire) is worth the cost, for your usage.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« trouble using external hardrive? | Onyx »