New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I like that 'any' key

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XB12R

XB12R is on a distinguished road

First post so let's see how deep I can step in it: I really like Mac hardware, particularly the first unibody mini with the disc drive and any of the pro's, but I might be committing the greatest sacrilege to all by asking... Does anybody only run windows? I mean, not even having any kind apple OS on the machine. Wipe the hard drive and start with a fresh win7 install.

I tried the i7 mini and found Mtn. Lion lacking having it hooked up to a 1080HD 50" plasma in that I couldn't keep the resolution to increase font size in the display. Simple enough in windows, and easier if you don't have to get up to read the screen, and the local magnifier wasn't an option, or bootcamp. It went back to the store and I replaced it with a ZBOX with blueray for 6 "C" notes less. I'm kind of shopping around for another PC and don't see anything with any 'style' that's doing it for me.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Welcome to Mac-Forums

Your money, if you want to buy a Mac Mini just to run Win 7, that's perfectly fine. It'll work great. But if that IS your intention, you can probably find just the hardware (which is what the Mac Mini is for you) for way cheaper..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
XB12R

XB12R is on a distinguished road

Thanks, that's what I figured with the Intel based units. Too bad the G's don't want to play, the aluminum power macs are dirt cheap and look cool too for a tower type on the cheap.

Back to Clist and fleabay.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The Power Macs use the PowerPC chipset which is not compatible with Windows. So you'll want Macs built after 2006, or better yet just buy a PC that is within your budget and I imagine that you'd probably get more hardware than buying a Mac..

One of the advantages of the Mac is that it "might" seem like the hardware is deficient when compared to a standard PC, but OS X is what makes that a non-issue. If you just run Windows on there, then you are taking a hit unnecessarily..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
Too bad the G's don't want to play, the aluminum power macs are dirt cheap and look cool too for a tower type on the cheap.
A couple reasons why the Powermac G5's are less expensive are:

- they are 6-9 years old
- they do not contain an Intel cpu

If they had an Intel cpu...then they would be worth more.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
I tried the i7 mini and found Mtn. Lion lacking having it hooked up to a 1080HD 50" plasma in that I couldn't keep the resolution to increase font size in the display. e.
What do you mean? My interpretation: you changed the screen resolutions to increase the System font size, but the resolutions reverted back to some other setting. That sounds like a hardware problem.

So, what is it really?
QUOTE Thanks
Thymen

Thymen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9

At the native resolution of 2560 x 1440 the default fonts size on my 27" iMac is just too small for my aging eyes. So when I bought the mac, the first thing I looked for was to increase it.... got very frustrated when I found out it couldn't be done other then by setting another screen res. If ever someone at Apple reads this... please bring it up at the next meeting!

Before Mountain Lion, setting the screen resolution to 1920 x 1080 would give rather jagged edges on the screen fonts. But with Mountain Lion, it appears to have improved. Guess had something to do with Retina display support, perhaps they had to re-write some font display related parts of the OS.

So now I am on 1920 x 1080 by default, and quite happy with the quality.. and screen fonts are easier to read!

Thymen
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How can i fix an external hard disk that "is no longer readable by this computer"? | macbook »