New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Onyx

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macstarter

macstarter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13" MacBook Pro, new 2013 21.5 IMac, iPad (retina)

I just read about onyx here on the forum. I got a new imac and used time machine to move the files to the new machine. It also moved Onyx for me. It is for Snow Leopard and the new machine is Mountain lion (I think)(ver 10.8.2). Should I uninstall the old Onyx and download the version for Mountain Lion? Seems that the answer should be yes, but checking before I delete anything from the new iMac.

As usual...thanks for your time and help.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

You are correct. Get rid of the old and download the download the new and you will be right to go.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
macstarter

I looked for an uninstaller in the apps file for Onyx and didn't find anything there. Looked in preferences and nothing there either. Is this one of the occasions where you just drag it to the waste paper basket??
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

When OnyX is open, go to the OnyX menu (top left hand corner of the screen) and select "Uninstall OnyX..." That should do it for you.

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
AliOop

AliOop will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro.

Any problem with using Sophos and OnyX on the same machine? I've got a 13" MBP 2012 w/Mountain Lion. Currently using Sophos on it. Think of adding OnyX as well.
QUOTE Thanks
macstarter

It won't open. It says "Onyx will not work with this version of osx).

Any other ideas on how to uninstall it??
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Just drag it to the trash. First download AppTrap and install. it will sit in your System Preferences>Other area so goto Syatem Preferences and look for Apptrap down the bottom, click on it and make sure you Activate it. Then drag Oynx to the Trash and AppTrap will do the rest by moving any System Files and other files associated with Oynx to the trash with it.

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

AliOop: I would uninstall Sophos. There is no need for it and it has been known to cause performance issues. Be sure to do so following the manufacturer's directions.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Onyx is a maintenance app, not an anti-virus app. So, there are no issues in running both...

As long as the AV itself does not cause issues.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I've also read that any third party uninstaller will not completely clean out all files associated with every app you use one on. Maybe it will do so for some apps, but maybe not. The best way to uninstall something, as I've read, is manual deletion. Now, that may mean running the app's own uninstaller first, then finding the stray files and deleting them. I'm not the expert; I'm just repeating what I've read.
QUOTE Thanks
Penetrex

Penetrex is on a distinguished road

I tried the Onyx thing but it's asking for my admin password.

What password? I have no stinkin' password, and don't want one either, yet it seems that program won't run unless I create one?

Well don't then. Pft.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penetrex View Post
I tried the Onyx thing but it's asking for my admin password.

What password? I have no stinkin' password, and don't want one either, yet it seems that program won't run unless I create one?

Well don't then. Pft.
Your computer is probably asking for a password because you're trying to install a new application. This is a measure to insure someone does not install any unauthorized apps.

If you don't have a password setup...then leave the password box blank...and just hit or click enter.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Penetrex

I did that but it said I need to set up a password to use it.

On the same theme, just tried buying an app from the app store, and it asked for my Apple ID and user. Well it's the same as the one of the computer I'm using, isn't it? Why not just remember me, with the 'keychain' thing?

Anyway, tried entering it, it claims I got it wrong, twice, and now I have to reset the thing? I just can't be bothered with all this.. Is it the same password as iTunes? I'd presume so but I bought stuff from iTunes recently, was logged in earlier today, so what the heck?

This thing is ^^$#@# me off already...
QUOTE Thanks
Penetrex

Great, so I jump through the hoops to reset my password - and now it says "The password specified has been used within the past year. Please select another".

So the password I entered WAS right then, wasn't it?

FFS...

Is this sort of thing normal with a Mac? Just tell you your password's wrong, for no reason? Is that some sort of security thing?

?

This kind of crap (can we swear on here? Are we grown-ups?) is exactly why I don't LIKE unnecessary passwords..

Great, now my 'session has timed out'.. I can understand why Macs have great security. Because if something is annoying you to the point you can't be asked to use it, then it should be pretty secure, right?

Saved me some money too, as I can't be bothered to buy that software now, or anything else for this. I already have it (GreatPhotos) on my PC anyway. Can't be bothered if I have to keep jumping through such hoops.

PFT!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
I did that but it said I need to set up a password to use it.

On the same theme, just tried buying an app from the app store, and it asked for my Apple ID and user. Well it's the same as the one of the computer I'm using, isn't it? Why not just remember me, with the 'keychain' thing?

Anyway, tried entering it, it claims I got it wrong, twice, and now I have to reset the thing? I just can't be bothered with all this.. Is it the same password as iTunes? I'd presume so but I bought stuff from iTunes recently, was logged in earlier today, so what the heck?
Quote:
Great, so I jump through the hoops to reset my password - and now it says "The password specified has been used within the past year. Please select another".

So the password I entered WAS right then, wasn't it?

Is this sort of thing normal with a Mac? Just tell you your password's wrong, for no reason? Is that some sort of security thing?

This kind of crap (can we swear on here? Are we grown-ups?) is exactly why I don't LIKE unnecessary passwords..

Great, now my 'session has timed out'.. I can understand why Macs have great security. Because if something is annoying you to the point you can't be asked to use it, then it should be pretty secure, right?

Saved me some money too, as I can't be bothered to buy that software now, or anything else for this. I already have it (GreatPhotos) on my PC anyway. Can't be bothered if I have to keep jumping through such hoops.
To be honest...your issues have expanded well beyond the topic of this thread. Instead of cluttering up this thread...why not start a new thread...so everyone can focus on your issues. This will help you get answers & get them more quickly.

Also...don't forget to try the Mac-Forums search function. Issues/confusion with Apple ID's do get asked & answered frequently...so the answer may already be sitting in a previous thread.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External backup vs External hardware | convert WMA to MP3 »