New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Photoshop 3 needed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Oldmacman

Oldmacman is on a distinguished road

Can anyone help please?

I have been trying to open some old pics on my Airbook (10.5.8) with Preview, but get the message 'Photoshop 3 is required to open this file'.

Unfortunately since these pics were taken in 2001, I've of course updated the OS and have lost my original copy of Photoshop 3.

Does anyone know how to open these pics into Jpeg format, or where I could buy a copy of Photoshop 3 deluxe from?

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Does anyone know how to open these pics into Jpeg format, or where I could buy a copy of Photoshop 3 deluxe from?
I'm not sure why Preview won't open them? But if you're looking for a copy of Photoshop 3, check on eBay. Make sure you buy a copy that has a serial number which can be registered and activated and not a pirated copy.
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

If the extension of the file is PSD then you will need to convert it. There are free converters as well as online converters. Google will help you find them and quite a bit cheaper then buying PS3.

Hope that helps

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Another option: Pixelmator ($15 I think) on the Mac App Store will open Photoshop documents, as will Graphic Converter ($40, but free to try).
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

+1 for both of those programs. Graphic Converter in particular seems to be able to convert from darn near anything to darn near anything. Hence the name.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

PS. Even if you found a copy of Photoshop Deluxe 3, your Mac couldn't run it. So that's a fruitless line to pursue IMO. Download a copy of GC and convert it.
QUOTE Thanks
Oldmacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I'm not sure why Preview won't open them? But if you're looking for a copy of Photoshop 3, check on eBay. Make sure you buy a copy that has a serial number which can be registered and activated and not a pirated copy.
Than you for trying to help I've had a search on for over 6 months now, but no luck except 'lightshop' 3 have showed. I think I know when I'm beaten...
QUOTE Thanks
Oldmacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
+1 for both of those programs. Graphic Converter in particular seems to be able to convert from darn near anything to darn near anything. Hence the name.
Fortunately I do have an early G4 mac still capable of running on either OS9 or OSX, so I thought I could open the photo's with that and convert them to JPG?
QUOTE Thanks
Oldmacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Another option: Pixelmator ( I think) on the Mac App Store will open Photoshop documents, as will Graphic Converter ( but free to try).
Thank you, I tried Graphic Converter here Graphic Converter for Mac and Windows - Download Free Trial version

Unfortunately it won't operate on OSX 10.4.8
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You can download version 6 of Graphic Converter for 10.4 Tiger

Lemke Software - Mac Fotobearbeitung, Mac Diashow, Mac Grafikprogramm, Mac Bildbetrachter: Download

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Oldmacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
Thanks for the message and I eventually got the free version to operate. Upon trying to open the image I wanted from the PSD filter menu I was advised that this was - "broken or not a graphic file".

Strange as their is a perfect Thumbnail image. I guess I'll have to wait until I can get a version of Photoshop 3 from somewhere and get my G4 to hopefully open the pic once the programme is loaded.

I've tried old software download sites but I'm unable to find the original Photoshop 3 anywhere, including Adobe.

Thank you all.
QUOTE Thanks
Adric

Adric is a jewel in the roughAdric is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD

Well here it is if you want it. Make sure the previous owner has deactivated their computer from the serial number. If not, you should be able to contact Adobe and have them register it to your machine.

Adobe Photoshop 3.0 Full version for Macintosh on eBay!
QUOTE Thanks
Oldmacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Well here it is if you want it. Make sure the previous owner has deactivated their computer from the serial number. If not, you should be able to contact Adobe and have them register it to your machine.

Adobe Photoshop 3.0 Full version for Macintosh on eBay!
Thank you for trying to help me. Unfortunately when I tried to contact the seller to see if they would post to the UK, Ebay advised;

"We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

So no joy...
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Just a thought but I'd could be that the file is damaged.

I don't know if the is private or confidential or not but I'd be happy to convert it to another format or at least try should that be any use to you

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Oldmacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Just a thought but I'd could be that the file is damaged.

I don't know if the is private or confidential or not but I'd be happy to convert it to another format or at least try should that be any use to you
Thank you,

The files (being PSD's are quite large (21mb), but should email OK. They are just simple pics, that I never realised would hold such a special value.

I'd be most grateful If you'd like to have a try for me. Perhaps you could forward me a PM with your email address and I could end one for you to experiment on?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What happens when I turn photostream off? | Windows w/Mac Mini »