New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

The cords are the weakest link

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

James Steed

James Steed is on a distinguished road

My electrical cords to my Mac Book Pro, I Phone, and I Pad are all a mess. They need replaced. The adapter cord for my projector is, too. I don't really want to buy new ones from Apple, as I am sure they will be of equally poor quality. Does any company sell cords that will work with the Apple products but will be of higher quality and last longer than a year or two?

James
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

So hang on, I'm confused. You say the cords for some of your Apple products are "a mess," (don't know what that means exactly), but also your adapter cord for your projector is too -- but that's Apple's fault?

*confused*
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Steed View Post
My electrical cords to my Mac Book Pro, I Phone, and I Pad are all a mess.
Seems to me if you're having issues with all these cords...the "common link" is the user...not bad cords from Apple.

I know that the cords from Apple are not perfect...but they are also not designed to take excessive punishment either. If you are good to your cords...they will be good to you!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I'm using 10 year old cords.. daily.. without issue. Not quite sure I'd go with quality issue. They are NOT, however, meant to be abused as say.. PDU cabling etc.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
xdunlapx

xdunlapx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,

I see no problem with the quality of my MBP power cord. It is thick and well insulated. It seems quite hardy actually. Now this is coming from a new mbp owner (first mac experience). I've had this laptop for about 7 months. The cord looks as good as new. I would definitely say that with my other cords (for every electronic piece of equipment I have owned) some are made better than others. But I've only ever had problems with Dell power cords. Now that Win 8 is the mainstream OS for any PC you will buy, I can safely say that I will push and push for my parents to buy refurbished macbooks over Dell. Mac power cords from all that I've seen are hardy and well made.

If your cords are a "mess" as you say it is probably due to user error. What exactly is wrong with them? Are they falling apart?
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

Before we all blame the original poster, why don't we all try to gather some more information about what sort of problems he's having and see if we can't help him in some way?

James, can you elaborate on why your power cords are a mess?

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Fo View Post
Before we all blame the original poster, why don't we all try to gather some more information about what sort of problems he's having and see if we can't help him in some way?
I don't think that there is any confusion. OP already said..."They need replaced." From my point of view...this means that something is wrong with them (broken, frayed, loose, etc.).

The only way we can help the OP with this is to suggest repair procedures...and this really isn't something that most folks do with their power cords/power bricks.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I did not mean to imply that the problem is the users' fault, though that is certainly a possibility. I've seen PLENTY of recent Apple cords with weak "necks" that don't respond well to being bent a lot or stretched a lot. Other cords I have definitely seem to be able to take more of that sort of "abuse."

That said, I avoid the problem on my own stuff so far by ... you guessed it ... not stretching or bending the connector. But I *agree* with Mr. Steed's title that the cords -- on Apple stuff and on some other electronics I have encountered -- seem to be the weakest link.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« email from iPhoto | My Macbook is Heating Up! »