Thread: Disk clean-up

Disk clean-up
    I have had My MacBook Pro for a year and haven't cleaned up temp files on the hard drive. I ran a disk utility that did something with permissions, but don't see any utilities like defrag and disk clean-up like I have in windows.

2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Try the free "tune-up" program Onyx:

Titanium's Software • Index page

It's a very good program. It has lots of features...but we usually recommend sticking with the preset automated default tasks (there's a button for this when you launch the program).

Once you get comfortable and experienced with can "tweak" some of the settings. Personally...I've always found the default settings to be all I needed.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDave View Post
    I (I) don't see any utilities like defrag and disk clean-up like I have in windows.
    That's because the OS does the heavy lifting for you. There are no temp files to clean up, and it's not really necessary to defrag a Mac.

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Captain Dave: pigoo and toMACsh's answers may seem contradictory, but they are not.

Pigoo is correct that for the most part, the Mac takes care of its own maintenance, and does a lot of that cleanup for you automatically, so you don't really have to worry about it.

OnyX provides an occasional fine tuning and goes a little beyond what the Mac does automatically. I run it about four or fives times a year.

Provided you keep a healthy amount of free space available on your Mac at all times (I don't like to pretend there is a magic exact percentage but at least 10 percent is a good guideline), you have very little you need to do to keep the Mac running smoothly, particularly if you're also making routine backups and installing a healthy amount of RAM for the level of work you do.

North Louisiana, USA
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    I'll second that. I really only run permission repairs and clean out the cruft if I am seeing early signs of unusual behavior.
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Thread Information