New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Buying 2 nd - Advise Needed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bite an Apple

Bite an Apple is on a distinguished road

I am considering buying a mini mac. However a friend of mine is selling her Mac Pro with the
following details :

MAC OS X version 10.5.8
Processeur: 2,66GHz
Memoire 2GO
Bought in 2008
With keyboard and mouse
Microsoft WORD, EXCEL & PPT 2011 installed

How does it compare to a mini Mac and how much should the asking price be ? What do you think about buying a computer that is nearly 6 years old ?

Thank You.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The new Mac Mini will likely outperform that Mac Pro in just about every aspect.

If purchased in '08, that should be the very first Intel MP introduced in Aug '06 and discontinued in Jan '08.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Bite an Apple

How much do you think the asking price should be ? She is suggesting € 700.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bite an Apple View Post
How much do you think the asking price should be ? She is suggesting € 700.
Check e-Bay for used prices. You can also go to this website for approx. values:

- www.mac2sell.net

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Bite an Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Impossible to tell you...since you haven't given us any specification info on the Mac-Mini you're speaking of.

I your original post...you didn't even tell us if this Mac-Mini was new or used!!!

- Nick
I have given the details of the Mac Pro which is for sale. The Mac mini costs around €600 but is
brand new and the Mac Pro is a 2008 model.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have given the details of the Mac Pro which is for sale. The Mac mini costs around €600 but is
brand new and the Mac Pro is a 2008 model.
Sorry...I got confused with your posts...since you're talking about 2 computers at the same time (Mac Pro and Mac-Mini). I edited my post above answering your question.

As "bobtomay" mentioned...getting the Mac-Mini would probably be the better choice...especially since both computers are relatively close in price. So it really doesn't make sense to pursue the Mac Pro...unless you can get it for a lot less money than the Mac-Mini.

And even then...you would still be much better off with the Mac-Mini...since that Mac Pro CANNOT run the latest version of the Mac OS (10.8, Mountain Lion). And as time goes on...that Mac Pro will get more & more antiquated.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Bite an Apple

That does make sense. I wasn't too keen of forking out such a large sum of money for quite an old computer.

Thank you for your advise.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
That does make sense. I wasn't too keen of forking out such a large sum of money for quite an old computer.

Thank you for your advise.
There is the size difference as well!!! Mac Pro...BIG and HEAVY! Mac-Mini...teeny-weeny!

If you were talking about:

- a newer Mac Pro
- a newer Mac Pro with 8 or more cores
- you had specific needs like being able to run 4, 6, or 8 monitors simultaneously
- wanted to have 4 internal hard drives
- wanted two internal DVD drives
- needed more than 16gig of ram (the latest Mac Pro's can have up to 128gig of ram)

Then maybe a Mac Pro might be a better choice. But then to purchase a newer Mac Pro...you would be spending a HECK of a lot more money than the cost of a Mac-Mini!!!

- Nick

p.s. And just to repeat what I mentioned above. The Mac Pro you mentioned CANNOT run the latest version of the Mac OS. Which means it most likely will not be able to run any newer OS versions as they are released! VERY IMPORTANT!!!

QUOTE Thanks
Bite an Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
There is the size difference as well!!! Mac Pro...BIG and HEAVY! Mac-Mini...teeny-weeny!

If you were talking about:

- a newer Mac Pro
- a newer Mac Pro with 8 or more cores
- you had specific needs like being able to run 4, 6, or 8 monitors simultaneously
- wanted to have 4 internal hard drives
- wanted two internal DVD drives
- needed more than 16gig of ram (the latest Mac Pro's can have up to 128gig of ram)

Then maybe a Mac Pro might be a better choice. But then to purchase a newer Mac Pro...you would be spending a HECK of a lot more money than the cost of a Mac-Mini!!!

- Nick

p.s. And just to repeat what I mentioned above. The Mac Pro you mentioned CANNOT run the latest version of the Mac OS. Which means it most likely will not be able to run any newer OS versions as they are released! VERY IMPORTANT!!!
What is an OS ? I've never had a Mac !
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
What is an OS ? I've never had a Mac !
OS = Operating System.

If you do not understand what an "operating system" is or means...I would suggest doing some searching on the internet to learn more.

And if you have never owned a Macintosh computer before...or used a Macintosh computer to know how the Mac OS works...I sure hope that you know what you're doing.

Because if you've only used Windows computers before...there are some differences...and some folks have more difficulty than others making the switch. Macintosh computers are not hard...it's really more of a "flexibility to change" issue with some folks!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Bite an Apple

I only joined this forum to get some advise concerning Mac computers. It was suggested to me by a member on another forum as I am considering switching to a Mac as they are easy to use. I'm not a computer expert and what must seem easy to most of you, is double dutch to me.
I only need a computer for basics ; photos, word and e mails.
I have used a Mac back in the 1980s.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I only joined this forum to get some advise concerning Mac computers. It was suggested to me by a member on another forum as I am considering switching to a Mac as they are easy to use. I'm not a computer expert and what must seem easy to most of you, is double dutch to me.
I only need a computer for basics ; photos, word and e mails.
I have used a Mac back in the 1980s.
When someone is buying a new computer...it's easy. You give Apple your credit card...and Apple gives you a brand new computer (with all of the latest "bells & whistles").

When you buy a used computer...things can be much more complex...and you need to be MUCH more knowledgeable. Otherwise you may end up purchasing something that is:

- overpriced
- outdated/antiquated
- or may not even work properly

Long story short. I think that with your Macintosh knowledge base and computing needs...(as already recommended above)...you would be MUCH better off purchasing a brand new Mac-Mini!!!

- Nick

p.s. Remember. With a Mac-Mini you need to have your own monitor, keyboard, and mouse. If you don't already have these...then the total cost of purchasing a Mac-Mini is higher. Sometimes high enough...that it really makes more sense to purchase a lower end iMac computer.

QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

You are better off with mac mini, just get a monitor, keyboard and mouse. That it is.
QUOTE Thanks
Bite an Apple

I already have a Fujitsu keyboard, Philips screen and a Lochitech mouse. Apparently they are all compatable as I have asked for advise an my other thread in this section.
I also think it would be wiser to buy a brand new computer with a guarantee.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

You are good to go, why wait.
If you do not mind can you let us know what mini mac you are going to get ?
you can easily upgrade to 16gb ram or 8gb, say your stock mini is 4gb, also hard drive is easy to upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can anyone PLEASE tell me what this is?? | Hello ! »