New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Spotlight / Find / can't find??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fjdjcss

fjdjcss is on a distinguished road

HI all, iMac osx 10.7.5 - when I use either Spotlight or command-F (find) it finds a bunch of junk except the one file I KNOW exists on my computer - no matter what search criteria I use "this mac" "all my files" it will not find it 90% of the time. My old G5 and earlier Macs always found the file - - I'm doing something wrong, yes? Thanks -
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Depends on where the file is. Spotlight will not find things in the System Library, for example.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Spotlight is not very robust at finding files that may be hidden in sub folders or several levels down. Download and install the free "Find Any File app" from here and use it instead.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

An alternative thought is that perhaps you need to rethink your organizational system so that files you need to access aren't so obscurely hidden that you need a find utility to get to them.

This can take several different approaches. I happen to like the "General to specific" folder hierarchy (as an example, my 2009 tax returns are in Documents -> Taxes -> 2009) or for example adding a short name to certain kinds of files so that they turn up quickly in searches (adding -work to work files, for example).

Broadly speaking, everything you might want to create should be easily findable in your Home folder, under either Documents or other media types (folders already provided by Apple) and then in a few sub-folders below that. For example, I have folders in Documents such as Travel, (Creative) Writing, Invoices and so forth. My needs are certainly different from yours, but so far I've only needed to create maybe a dozen broad-category folders (Kids, Medical, Legal -- that sort of thing) and use sub-folders within those broad categories to get more specific. This helps me feel (and has been proven in practice) that I can lay my mouse on any document I want within a very few clicks.
QUOTE Thanks
fjdjcss

fjdjcss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Spotlight is not very robust at finding files that may be hidden in sub folders or several levels down. Download and install the free "Find Any File app" from here and use it instead.
Thanks for the Find Any File - it works, greatly appreciate it!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« video recording | photostream »