New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

It's finally arrived

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Eljeffo64

Eljeffo64 is on a distinguished road

Finally, after waiting 8 weeks my 27" iMac (with upgraded memory/processor/video card) arrived. Looks fantastic, now need to get used to it !

Switch was somewhat spoiled by the seemingy faulty airport extreme I bought at the same time, which is not working on the lower 2.4ghz channel resulting in my older periferal wi-fi items (laptop, ipod touch, xbox, internet radio, Samsung TV) not "seeing" an available network. The imac, apple TV and iPad can see the faster 5ghz channel so they are ok. Don't think I've done anything silly, the apple support people coildn't help, so it's back to the shop today to try another one .....
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I don't own a newer Airport Extreme but I wonder if you changed a setting in the routers config that did something with the 2.4ghz channel. Will get the manual and check.
QUOTE Thanks
Eljeffo64

Yes, I've had a "look" to see if I'd done something like like that, couldn't find a tick box or option that might be responsible - btw I've not given a separate name/ssid to the 5ghz channel (you can do this in the options) as I thought the dual channel worked intelligently within a single ssid and connected via the appropriate protocol (a,n,g,b) automatically, and I don't want to manually choose the channel for each device. If you find anything I'd be delighted, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I checked the manual and do not see that as an option. I was hoping someone who owns one would chime in. Maybe it's defective.
QUOTE Thanks
Eljeffo64

OK - panic over - final effort results in success! It was the 2.4ghz channel - default settings for the router are for auto channel selection (you know 1-13); this setting is supposed to choose the optimal chanel, it chose ch 1. Changed to manual and set to ch 10, all good. No other devices (cordless phones etc etc) anywhere near go figure!!

Thanks for looking Dennis :-)

Right, I'm an iPad pro but am now off to learn how to drive Mac !! Is it just me, I prefer iOS to OSX so far??

PS - not sure what I prefer - mouse or trackpad (have both) - first impression is mouse for normal stuff trackpad for photo/ video manipulation......
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Check out Mac 101 (or Switch 101 if you're coming from a Windows background) to help with common questions, have a read of the essay in my signature and download one of the free e-books from Apple on your new Mac from the iBookstore (yes, to read on your iPad!) and you'll be well on your way in no time.
QUOTE Thanks
Eljeffo64

Have already done so Chas, all good stuff thanks for the detailed advice in your excellent write up! I already do the ebook thing - are there different ones available just for mac d/l? I'd only read them on the pad not the mac.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Apple doesn't presently offer a program for reading e-books on the Mac, but should one ever want to do so the Kindle App from Amazon (among other choices) is a good option.

Unlike Apple's own iPad books in the iBookstore, there isn't a free book that covers the iMac, but there are free samples of any of the paid ones to help you decide if they are worth it. There's also the good ol' public library.
QUOTE Thanks
Eljeffo64

Yes, there's a few things I can't do due to apps not being the same on the 2 platforms, (like the free radio player app tune in radio on the pad not being on the mac app platform) guess I'll learn and adapt - Im an experienced and fast learner though :-)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« bus speed | Compressing Word Documents »