New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Where's my free space? Searching . . .

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tripilot

tripilot is on a distinguished road

Greetings!

I decided that since I had 357 gig's of video on my iMac's hard drive that I should clean up. I moved all of the files in the "All Movies" folder to my external hard drive. The problem I now have is, the amount of available space has not changed relative to the movies I "thought" I removed. The "All Movies" folder is now empty. Any thoughts?
I'm now going to better managed all new video that I import but, I am still searching for that free space........

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Empty Trash?

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

..and a 'Secure Empty Trash' at that

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
tripilot

tripilot is on a distinguished road

Thank you! It never ceases to amaze me how the obvious seems to evade me. Your advise is appreciated. Free space abounds.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Great stuff......Sawday's spot.

Remember a 'Secure' empty will permanently clear the files immediately and an ordinary one will just earmark the files for writing over when your system needs space.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

A secure empty trash is *completely unnecessary* and takes an extraordinary amount of time, while providing ZERO advantage over a regular "empty trash" command in this case. I cannot for the life of me figure out why you even brought it up.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I cannot for the life of me figure out why you even brought it up.
I get the same feeling with most of your posts chas....which either seem to be mostly unnecessary attention seeking appendages to already solved cases or outright insults like this one.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

As I expected, you are unable to provide any reasoning for your post.

Thought as much.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

You can 'expect' what you like my friend........if it makes you feel happy about yourself.

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
Great stuff......Sawday's spot.

Remember a 'Secure' empty will permanently clear the files immediately and an ordinary one will just earmark the files for writing over when your system needs space.
I just use the "regular" empty trash. But, periodically, I wipe free space. I just don't like those old files cluttering up my hard drive waiting to be overwritten. Plus, it gives the computer something to do while I sleep. I would advise doing a secure empty trash when there is a lot to "take to the dump" just before bed. Might not need that sleeping pill then...
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

However, if you've been hacking into the CIA computers, downloading dubious documents or simply accessing your neighbours network to download pictures of their wife, a secure empty might be a good idea... :-)

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
I just use the "regular" empty trash. But, periodically, I wipe free space. I just don't like those old files cluttering up my hard drive waiting to be overwritten. Plus, it gives the computer something to do while I sleep. I would advise doing a secure empty trash when there is a lot to "take to the dump" just before bed. Might not need that sleeping pill then...
No need to do anything like a secure wipe unless you are giving the drive to someone else and are paranoid about them somehow resurrecting your files (unlikely). The files in the trash do not "clutter up the hard drive" as they are marked as in the trash and the space is available to the OS when/if it needs it. So doing a secure empty trash just bangs the heads around needlessly. If you don't like having a full trash can, just empty it.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
However, if you've been hacking into the CIA computers, downloading dubious documents or simply accessing your neighbours network to download pictures of their wife, a secure empty might be a good idea... :-)
Who told you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
No need to do anything like a secure wipe unless you are giving the drive to someone else and are paranoid about them somehow resurrecting your files (unlikely). The files in the trash do not "clutter up the hard drive" as they are marked as in the trash and the space is available to the OS when/if it needs it. So doing a secure empty trash just bangs the heads around needlessly. If you don't like having a full trash can, just empty it.
Yeah, I knew all that except for the "banging" part. I've had my Mini since 2007 and so far it has performed flawlessly.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Well, while you are sleeping and your Mac is resting, the heads on the drives rarely move. But if you do a secure delete while you sleep, the heads are in motion as they do the multiple writes to overwrite the deleted files with 0's and 1's and whatever pattern it uses to obscure the data. The net is that you get many more movements of the head actuators. Now it's probably not going to shorten the drive life much, but the actuators are usually the mechanical part that wears out first and cause drive failures, so unless you really, really need that data obscured, I would recommend not causing those actuators to have to do that work.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

So far, looks like my OS and other software becomes obsolete before the drive fails. My G3 was still a solid machine when I upgraded to the Mini in 2007.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adding more gigabytes to iPhone | transferring software to a mac mini from a PC over ethernet cable »