New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

network problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

betty1254

betty1254 is on a distinguished road

macbook pro can't seem to locate home network
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty1254 View Post
macbook pro can't seem to locate home network
Hi betty 1254,

You're not giving us many clues....I can't find my slippers but am holding off getting the neighbours in just yet

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
betty1254

betty1254 is on a distinguished road

we have a modem and a router and an older dell laptop all of which work just fine for going on line. for the past 9 months the mac book pro also worked fine with the same modem and router. in the last few weeks the mac doesn't recognize our network. how to get it to recognize our network?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Ok.

Run 'Software update' on your MBP and if you can enter your router's settings do a firmware update on that.

Next power down the modem and router (unplug the cables completely).

On your MBP quit all your apps, go to Disk Utility in Applications, choose your hard drive (Macintosh HD) and run 'Repair Disk Permissions' let it run it's course then shut the machine down.

Re-connect and power up your modem and router first and then start up your MBP.

If it doesn't automatically see the network you will have to choose it by clicking on the wi-fi icon on the menu bar. Let's see what happens then because there are other things we can look at if the problem persists.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

That's all well and good advice . . . . . but any news on the slippers?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
That's all well and good advice . . . . . but any news on the slippers?
Hahahaha......no I'll keep you posted. I normally blame the missus but she's having none of it

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Network Security | Refurbished Mac Pro ok? »