New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Refurbished Mac Pro ok?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RuninWatters

RuninWatters is on a distinguished road

Newbie here. I searched for threads about refurbished but didn't see any comments.

I am looking at a 2012 Refurbished Mac Pro, 1 year warranty. I am going this route to save a few bucks. There is also a refurbished display! I'm switching from an old PC specifically built for video editing. The refurbished Mac has all the bells and whistles I'm looking for.

Does anyone have input, pros or cons about purchasing a refurbished Mac Pro and display? Also, is it advisable to buy additional 3 year warranty?

Thanks in advance.

Nance
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuninWatters View Post
Newbie here. I searched for threads about refurbished but didn't see any comments.
Obviously you haven't searched hard enough! We talk about refurbished computers from Apple being a fine and wise choice all the time!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
gilez

gilez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13", 2.26 GHz, 2GB, 160GB. iPod touch 2nd gen, 8GB, 27" Core i7, 8GB, 1TB iMac

I've had 2 computers from the refurb store, a MacBook and an iMac.

The Apple refurb store is excellent, everything gets delivered like new. Also, keep in mind that to sell something on the refurb store, it needs to be thoroughly checked by Apple Technicians to ensure that it is fit for sale, and to check the condition etc, so it's a pretty safe bet.

The only major difference you'll notice is that the packaging will be plain white cardboard, not the full retail packaging. An excellent tradeoff for the savings in general.

I do web design, so can help with that.
Don't Ask Me about iWeb, Dreamweaver, Flash or any WYSIWYG.
Ask me about xHTML, HTML, HTML5, CSS, CSS3, PHP, MySQL, (basic) jQuery, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
QUOTE Thanks
RuninWatters

RuninWatters is on a distinguished road

Glad I found the place for Mac answers. Thanks and onward we go!!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

My currently iMac is a refurb that I purchased at the end of 2009. It had the 1 year AppleCare that I extended to 3..I should finally be out of my warranty period now, but I haven't had a single problem with it throughout my ownership.

Apart from the plain looking box the iMac came in, nothing about the insides, the packaging or the iMac itself suggests that it was a refurb..to top it off, I saved a good chunk of money on it, so it's a win-win-win all around..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« network problems | New to Macs. Need Help Picking a Model »