New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Need help on installing ie on my mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JAYHALL

JAYHALL is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member to this site and I'm very excited to be joining this forum. I just wanted to know if anyone knew how to install IE in a Virtual machine on a Mac? I'm working on a website and I notice when I view my website in Internet Explorer it looks totally different from when I view my website on a Mac....Please someone help me figure this out!!!!!!!

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You can use Virtual Box, it's a free VM application. You'll need one or more copies of Windows to install in it.

However you need to consider how far you want to take your testing:

IE8 (and all that proceed it) works on Windows XP, Vista and 7
IE9 only works on Vista and 7
IE10 only works on Windows 7 & 8

So to hit the broadest spectrum you'll need to use Windows 7.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you don't have a copy of Windows, you can use something like WineBottler or CrossOver to do the job. However, if you have a copy of Windows, I'd suggest you go the virtualization route instead.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
JAYHALL

JAYHALL is on a distinguished road

Thanks Mrpow!
I actually download this application on my computer about two days ago. I found some source on the internet which you can view at (Internet Explorer for Mac the Easy Way: Run IE 7, IE8, & IE9 Free in a Virtual Machine). Right now I'm trying to run IE7, IE8, & IE9. By following the source I was able to get the application running on my computer but not able to launch the actual application. After downloading the application on my computer, the source directed me to hit "Start" after I have selected the version of IE I was currently trying to use.....My problem is that I can not find the "Start" button and also all the version didn't download to my computer. So right now I'm stuck trying to find out what to do next.

Thanks in advance for you help!!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

The start it refers to is starting the virtual machine from the VirtualBox application

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I have to point out that if you're getting "totally different" layouts in IE versus more standards-compliant browsers such as Safari, this indicates that you coded it incorrectly/poorly. Code your site to look good on standards-compliant browsers and IE show it correctly. Code for IE, and only IE users will see it properly.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2008 iMac and Mountain Lion | Adobe Flash Player »