New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

2008 iMac and Mountain Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jessicafjanes

jessicafjanes is on a distinguished road

I am looking at purchasing a 2008 iMac from someone and from what i've read it may or may not work well with Mountain Lion (which has been installed). Are there any known other problems with buying an older computer like this? It will be for my 6 year old to primarily play games from the app store and the occasional internet web site. Here are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
4GB DDR2 SDRAM PC2-5300
500GB Western Digital Hard Drive

Interface Type PCI Express x16
Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Radeon HD 2600PRO
Video Memory 256.0 MB GDDR3 SDRAM
Video Interfaces DVI
Max Monitors Supported 2.0

Thanks for any help!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

No real 'known issues'. Only the usual ones associated with buying anything second hand. You won't know how it's been treated, any issues it may have had in it's past etc.

Couple of things:
1. Get all the original discs if you can.
2. I would do a clean install of OSX - Whether that be Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion. This will negate any issues of what's currently installed. Also means you'llset and know all passwords etc.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
oldhifi

oldhifi is on a distinguished road

I have a 2008 Imac with ML, no problems
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« photoshop cs6 | Need help on installing ie on my mac »