New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Password on DVD-R

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Aine G

Aine G is on a distinguished road

Hi

Can anyone please tell me how I can password protect a DVD-R when saving from my imac?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Please don't post the same question in multiple forums. Please wait for a response to your single post and the Staff will move it to the appropriate forum if needed..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Aine G

No probs, as a new user finding your site hard to use, good to know that you will move it if in the wrong place. Any idea how long I sould be waiting before getting a reply?!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Off the top of my head I can't think of a way of password protecting the DVD itself, but you can create a encrypted image or ZIP file that you can place on the DVD-R. You can create a new image through Disk Utility, click on the New+ button on top and then under Encryption, choose the level you want.

You can also create a password protected archive (ZIP, 7Z, what have you) using any of the various archive managers as well..

Would this suffice for what you are attempting to do?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Aine G

thanks very much I will try that - yes it is just the content of the dvd not the actual dvd I want to encrypt.
:-)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphoto emails | "New Mailbox" malfunctions in iMac mail »