Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

slow macbook pro
    Hi,

My Macbook Pro is sluggish and running slowly, how can i go about cleaning my computer up and freeing up some space?

Also, what is the safest device to use as backup for my Macbook Pro?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Lisa

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Welcome to the Mac Forums!

You didn't tell us which MacBook Pro you have... year and model? Generally, however, we recommend using the free OnyX maintenance and optimization utility to clean and speed things up. We do not recommend other so called clean up programs as they do not work and can actually harm your machine. Here is the download link to get OnyX: LINK

For backing up your Mac, an external hard drive and the free included Time Machine is the easiest and least expensive way. There is also Carbon Copy Cloner but it's not free.

Thanks - how do I know which Macbook Pro I have and year? Excuse my ignorance but I am not too clued up, it was a gift It is now 'hanging' and freezing constantly, am stressed as my WHOLE business is on here...

Specs:
    Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen. Then select "About This Mac". Copy that info and paste it to your next reply.

If your machine is freezing or hanging, we need to find out why it's doing it.

Specs:
    2015 rMBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    And remember, the red X does NOT shut down programs, it just pushes them into the background still running. If you have a lot of programs running, your Mac will slow down.

Ok thanks, it's Mac OS X, Version 10.6.8
    Processor 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 2GB 1067 MHz DD3
    Startup Disk Macintosh HD
    Model MacBook 6, 1

Specs:
    Thanks for posting your specs. Download the free maintenance and optimization tool = OnyX from here. Use it in auto mode. And just for info sake, we do not recommend any other cleanup or optimization tools as most do not work. Be especially wary of a program called MacKeeper. It's snake oil.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Thanks for posting your specs. Download the free maintenance and optimization tool = OnyX from here. Use it in auto mode. And just for info sake, we do not recommend any other cleanup or optimization tools as most do not work. Be especially wary of a program called MacKeeper. It's snake oil.
    This was super helpful and exactly what I needed to know! Will be DL and running the link in a minute. I know you said to click the red X to quit so other misc isn't running but so many times I've just had to reboot to do anything. Where do I look to see what's running so I can quit anything I'm not using? Thanks!!

I went to the link and it DL mackeeper and the Onyx DL doesn't do anything??...HELP!

Specs:
    2015 rMBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    The llink worked for me. There is an ad at the top of the page that you need to ignore. The link to download OnyX is beside the image of the OnyX control panel.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheri Kentucky View Post
    I went to the link and it DL mackeeper and the Onyx DL doesn't do anything??...HELP!
    Try this link...it's the developer's website:

Titanium Software Onyx

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

thanks for the quick replies!!... that was sort of misleading but I uninstalled mackeeper (where it says free quick scan and luckily didn't run it) .... got Onyx DL and run so here's to hoping my issue is resolved. Pretty sure shockwave is one of my biggest problems if anyone has any fixes/ideas on that I would appreciate that as well

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    From your earlier post, I'd say BACKING UP is actually your biggest priority ... you've kind of implied that you haven't yet done that ...

Specs:
    MacBook, 13-inch, mid 2010, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, OS X 10.8.2
    "Sounds like you need to upgrade. Check this site out Customized Macs - Build Your Own Mac With the Third Party Parts You Pick"

Is this reliable?

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    No, I think that's spam (or at least a jumping to conclusions!).

In addition to running maintenance as suggested by pigoo ... let us know if your hard drive is getting full (you can see the total amount of free space by opening any Finder window and looking at the bottom center), that could be playing a significant role. I also encourage people to actually QUIT (not close) applications when they aren't using them.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Super thank you sooooo much for this, it really helped me a lot! I'm looking for answers for this problem as well.

Thread Information