New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Adding more memory/hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jmosley

jmosley is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, 13-inch, mid 2010, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, OS X 10.8.2

How should I add more memory/hardrive to my macbook? How many gigabytes can be stored on a macbook? My processor is 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo. My memory right now is at 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

We need the year and model before we can tell you how much memory it can take. For example: Late 2008 MacBook unibody, etc. Or give us the model number.
QUOTE Thanks
jmosley

Mac Specs: MacBook, 13-inch, mid 2010, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, OS X 10.8.2

MacBook, 13-inch, mid 2010, serial number: 451322HZF5W, Software: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

Is that what you're looking for?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

This page should get you started. It has links for both the 2010 MacBook and MacBook Pro. Use the model ID link to help you to match the info with your machine. Once you click the machine it takes you to a page with additional specs such as max maximum memory and links to the correct modules.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
jmosley

Thanks! My macbook says it will only hold a maximum of 4 GB of memory, but this web site is listing memory that will go up all the way to 16 GB of memory that is compatible for the macbook. Is that true?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, you're not reading it correctly. Mactracker and Other World Computing both give this as information for your MacBook Pro year and model:

Maximum Memory 8.0 GB
Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Note that 8GB is official but Apple only supports up to 4GB. If you don't feel comfortable exceeding Apple's recommendation, stick to 4GB.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jmosley

Thanks for the input. What is the purpose for upgrading memory? Will it make the macbook run faster?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmosley View Post
Thanks for the input. What is the purpose for upgrading memory? Will it make the macbook run faster?
It may or may not depending of course on the type of computing you do. However, since memory modules are not expensive and it's an easy do it yourself task, why not?
QUOTE Thanks
jmosley

Would it make sense to add another hardrive as well?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

You mean replacing your current hard drive with a larger one or even a SSD?
QUOTE Thanks
jmosley

Yes, both.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Yes, that's a nice upgrade if you can afford it. Other World Computing on the web sells kits including the SSD. They include a bracket, cable, and external carrier. You realize that means removing your optical drive and replacing it with another hard drive or an SSD, right?
QUOTE Thanks
jmosley

I do realize that. Would that be harmful to my macbook?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmosley View Post
I do realize that. Would that be harmful to my macbook?
No, as long as you don't break anything in the process.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« airpot express sound | Trying to set up printer »