New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Hello !

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bite an Apple

Bite an Apple is on a distinguished road

Hello. I'm a newbie who is interested in purchasing a Mac but don't know where to start.
Any adivse would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Welcome to the forum.

Like any purchase you have consider what you'll use it for. Give us a few details of your 'must haves'.

E.g.
Do you want a notebook or a desktop machine?
What sort of tasks would you use a computer for?
What's your rough budget?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Bite an Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Welcome to the forum. Thanks !
Like any purchase you have consider what you'll use it for. Give us a few details of your 'must haves'.

E.g.
Do you want a notebook or a desktop machine? DeskWhat sort of tasks would you use a computer for? Internet, e mails and photos.What's your rough budget?
As little as possible.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say which country your from, these links are for the US store as the majority of visitors here are from the US.

The absolute cheapest way into a desktop Mac - a Mac mini, supplying your own keyboard, mouse and screen:
Mac mini - Buy Mac mini Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

Cheapest, desktop, all-in-one Mac 21.5" iMac
iMac - New iMac Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

Keeping in mind these two types of machine you can look to the refurb store to shave the price down a little more:
Refurbished Mac Computers - Refurbished Notebooks & Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Bite an Apple

I live in France. I have a Philips screen a Fujitsu siemens keyboard (not wireless) and a Logitch cordless mouse. I'm on a very low budget and that is the reason why I'm interested in a Mac mini.
QUOTE Thanks
Buc021

Buc021 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13 i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV

These are your options

Mac mini - Acheter Mac mini en ligne - Apple Store (France)
QUOTE Thanks
Bite an Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc021 View Post

Thanks for the link. Can anyone reply to my questions concerning the screen, keyboard and mouse please ?

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

What were your questions specifically?

QUOTE Thanks
Bite an Apple

I already have a Philipps 170x6 screen, a Fujitsi Siemens keyboard (not wireless) and a Logitech cordless mouse with a usb port. I don't have wi fi and would like to know whether I can use the material that I have with a
Maci mini ?

Thanks !
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

The keyboard will be fine.

You'll need an HDMI to DVI-D cable to connect the screen.

Can't say if the mouse will work. Depends if its driverless (most modern wireless mice are) or of that particular model has a Mac specific driver. Impossible to say with the current information.

QUOTE Thanks
Bite an Apple

Does that mean that I just have to buy a special cable for the screen ? How can I find out whether the mouse will work ? I have just purchased it.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

The video out on the Mac mini is HDMI. The video input on your screen is DVI-D.
They are compatible so no signal conversion is required, simply a cable with HDMI on one end and DVI-D on the other. I can't say if you'll need to buy one....... Depends if you have one already. They aren't expensive:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-HDMI.../dp/B000GDI6FC

As for the mouse.... I'd start on the Logitech website

QUOTE Thanks
Bite an Apple

Thank your for your help. I'm clueless when it comes to computers and cables and not a fan of techie stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

An HDMI-to-DVI adapter is included with the with the Mac mini. No need to buy one.

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Fair enough.... Then just a DVI cable required

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buying 2 nd - Advise Needed | HELP: An inexpensive .pdf text editor »