New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Deleting Partition in OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nightshad0w

nightshad0w is on a distinguished road

I made a partition using BootCamp. I later decided to remove this partition. To do so, i formatted the new partition to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Then i selected that partition from the Partition Layout window and deleted the partition by clicking the little minus sign at the bottom. This partition was of 60 GB. Now the partition is gone but the 60 GB is missing ( I mean, it doesn't show in the Partition Layout nor has it been added to Macintosh HD)...
Can anyone help me to retrieve that 60 GB???
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Resize the primary partition by dragging the bottom of the "bar" down on the partition map.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
nightshad0w

No... That didn't work... Its not letting me go down any further......
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshad0w View Post
No... That didn't work... Its not letting me go down any further......
Eh? Post a screen cap of your partition map so we can see what's going on.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
nightshad0w

It is 500 GB hard disk...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 12.28.07 AM.png (145.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 12.28.34 AM.png (144.4 KB, 23 views)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Ideally you should have used the bootcamp assistant to return the disk to it's pre-bootcamp state.

Things, as you've found, can get a bit messed up trying to do it manually.

But you should be able to do what you want by booting to the recovery partition or booting from your OSX DVD (depending on which version of OSX you have) and use disk utility from there to remove and resize.

As always, with anything disk related, I'd recommend making sure you have a working backup first.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Try going into BootCamp s if you were setting up and see if the window comes up to remove.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
nightshad0w

I managed to get that lost memory back!!!
I selected the Recovery HD partition and clicked on the little plus sign on the bottom left to create a new partition. A new partition got created of 60GB .. (magic, i guess!)
Thanks anyway, everyone!!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Something's wrong here. The recovery partition shouldn't even be visible, much less "below" the main partition. And certainly not 60 GB in size! Unless that's a Windows recovery partition, though how that even got there is confusing, unless maybe this drive was recycled from an OEM Windows PC?

Well no matter... if you want to merge those partitions back together, click the minus sign while the bottom part is selected, then resize the top one.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
nightshad0w

Anyway, at least the 60 Gigs are back!!
I think when i deleted the partition last time, it just got left as unallocated memory. When i tried to create a new partition, disk utility must have just reallocated it back..
The drive definitely wasn't recycled from a windows PC!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD Burning. | Finder Folder Sorting »