New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Saving Pages file to Documents

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rmill777

rmill777 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacMini , iPad Mini, Apple TV

I have not saved too many Pages documents but I am now confused. I clicked on my Documents icon after I Saved a document and the Pages document was not there. After floundering around I went to Finder and clicked on User (me) and another documents area showed up and I found my Pages document there. This looks very convoluted to me and I am having trouble with my logical thinking finding where I should look for a document after saving it and why there seems to be two documents locations. I went to the Tutorials and they didn't cover this subject. Perhaps someone could point me to source for information on saving Documents. It just doesn't work the same as Windows did.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

By default iWork Pages will save the document to your "Documents" folder which is listed under your user name. The "Documents" folder which you can see in the Finder sidebar is the same as the one you see under your user name. You can also see the same "Documents" folder by clicking on its icon which should be in the right side of your bottom menu (dock).
QUOTE Thanks
rmill777

I just wrote out an answer and I don't know where it went. I hit Post Reply but it just disappeared. I haven't gotten used to how you post a reply or what buttons you hit to post it. Anyhow I finally solved my problem because I had a Documents file under Desktop with a completely different set of files than under User/documents. Haven't figured out how to rename folders and files.
QUOTE Thanks
Gandalph

Gandalph has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 8 GB Ram.

Just go into the Documents Folder and create a new file with the name you want. Then when you save any further documents from Pages just direct it to the file you created.

 Machine Specs: 27" i7 iMac l 2.8 GHz Quad Core l 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3 Ram l ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB Ram l 2 TB Sata HDD l 2 TB Time Machine [Seagate GoFlex. Firewire 800] l Built-in OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H l Built-in Card reader l Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks I iPhone 4S 16 GB iOS 7.1
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmill777 View Post
I have not saved too many Pages documents but I am now confused. I clicked on my Documents icon after I Saved a document and the Pages document was not there.
When you do SaveAs, the Save dialog opens up. Next to the name of the document you're saving is a little triangle. Click on that and the dialog box expands, allowing you to manuver to the folder you want to save to.

Quote:
Haven't figured out how to rename folders and files.
Highlight the folder or file, then move your mouse slightly over it, or, after a delay, click the name again. Once the name changes color, you can replace the name by typing. If you wan to change just part of it, click once more until you see the flashing | , then backspace, type, whatever you need to do. And then hit enter.
QUOTE Thanks
rmill777

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
When you do SaveAs, the Save dialog opens up. Next to the name of the document you're saving is a little triangle. Click on that and the dialog box expands, allowing you to manuver to the folder you want to save to.

Highlight the folder or file, then move your mouse slightly over it, or, after a delay, click the name again. Once the name changes color, you can replace the name by typing. If you wan to change just part of it, click once more until you see the flashing | , then backspace, type, whatever you need to do.
I have been doing exactly as suggested for several days. I have clicked the rename both with right click, using the down arrow and going to Rename under the File menu. The file name highlights, I can delete it, I can change it but when I left click the first time the file name reverts back to the original. Here's the kicker - it has changed a couple of times but I can not make it work all the time. I know it sounds strange but I assure you have been working hard on this. I am going to go back and try a different technique. I am going to duplicate the file and then try a different name. This isn't the end of the world but it sure is annoying. I am getting a real education from this site and I thank you. I am going back to my original post regarding where to find my files and report on progress
QUOTE Thanks
rmill777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalph View Post
Just go into the Documents Folder and create a new file with the name you want. Then when you save any further documents from Pages just direct it to the file you created.
I did this. It worked and then I moved my files to the new folder. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
rmill777

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
By default iWork Pages will save the document to your "Documents" folder which is listed under your user name. The "Documents" folder which you can see in the Finder sidebar is the same as the one you see under your user name. You can also see the same "Documents" folder by clicking on its icon which should be in the right side of your bottom menu (dock).
The first sentence above got me on the right track. My problem was that when I saw "Documents" I thought I was always in the intended place. Not true. When I clicked on my Desktop/Documents icon it showed up with the Desktop highlighted. This folder had a Documents folder under it and that is where I kept looking for my files. I had moved some of my files there and I ended up with one set of Files under the Desktop Documents subfolder and one set under the User/Documents folder. I have now housecleaned and my files are ending up where I want them. I have made a set of folders for my files and I am getting them in the order I want them but my Mac Mini doesn't make that easy. On another post I have discussed my problem renaming files which I haven't solved even after following directions to the letter. I am getting an education. I can now almost navigate around the Mac Forum site. This is a great place to get help and I appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
rmill777

Quote:
I have been doing exactly as suggested for several days. I have clicked the rename both with right click, using the down arrow and going to Rename under the File menu. The file name highlights, I can delete it, I can change it but when I left click the first time the file name reverts back to the original. Here's the kicker - it has changed a couple of times but I can not make it work all the time. I know it sounds strange but I assure you have been working hard on this. I am going to go back and try a different technique. I am going to duplicate the file and then try a different name. This isn't the end of the world but it sure is annoying. I am getting a real education from this site and I thank you. I am going back to my original post regarding where to find my files and report on progress
I found out what I wasn't doing. After I change the name I have to hit the Enter key on my keyboard. I was skipping this step most of the time. Amen and hallelujah.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
I found out what I wasn't doing. After I change the name I have to hit the Enter key on my keyboard. I was skipping this step most of the time. Amen and hallelujah.
I added that to my post above in case someone else comes searching for help with this. Glad you got it figured out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help needed | cutaway in imovie 09 »