New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Just giving up on windows!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Window-widower

Window-widower is on a distinguished road

I have had this 1st gen G5 for a while. It has no hard drive or memory, but other than that it's all there. I am sick to death of windows and working on my buddies Mac is very cool! STRAPPED for cash @ the moment so I am wondering if this is worth putting a couple hundred bucks into to get started in the MAC world?? Reading some of the forum so far and I can't even fully understand the language yet!! ...whadda ya think?? (I'll just sit back and listen for a while)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window-widower View Post
I have had this 1st gen G5 for a while. It has no hard drive or memory, but other than that it's all there.

@ the moment so I am wondering if this is worth putting a couple hundred bucks into to get started in the MAC world??
If you're talking about putting a couple hundred bucks into the G5 you mentioned...not it's not worth it. It's too old (last G5 was discontinued in 2006)...and it probably won't even be worth a couple hundred after your investments.

If you want a Mac that will give you a decent 1st timer experience...buy a used Mac with an Intel cpu (not a G5 cpu). And buy one that is ready to go (no upgrading needed). This will save you more money in the long run.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Regarding the poll question. This is a Mac-Forum...the answers are bound to be skewed towards the positive. Just like it would be if this was a Windows based forum...and a similar question (Are Windows computers the best?) were asked there.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
p.s. Regarding the poll question. This is a Mac-Forum...the answers are bound to be skewed towards the positive. Just like it would be if this was a Windows based forum...and a similar question (Are Windows computers the best?) were asked there.
I addition to what you said... he gave three options for mac and 1 against.. def not pew quality

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Card reader won't read - and in general a year later and NOT impressed with MAC | Using the mouse »