New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iMessage Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacWannabeNTX

MacWannabeNTX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IPad 4 16 GB IOS 6.1.3, Macbook Pro 4GB 500 Hd ML 10.8.3

I have a problem with how my iMessage is working. I have only had my MBP 2 weeks so I called the Apple Support line and they dont know how to fix it.

When I send out a message, it sends fine thru imessage but the response shows up in my email. I have the setup page showing my apple id and the account to use for imessage as my email account. In other words, my apple id, email account and message are all 3 using the same address. But Apple Support says that should be fine, but it isnt.

I have had an iPad since March 2012 and have it set up the same way and it has always “just worked" the way it is supposed to, messages go out and come in thru imessage. That is UNTIL I synced to my new MBP, now all my devices work wrong in imessage.

Anybody have a solution for something Apple doesnt know how to fix for me, anyway?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

What version of OSX? What version of iOS?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MacWannabeNTX

Osx 10.8.2
ios 6.1
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

On your Mac in Messages - Preferences - Accounts

What Items are in "you can be reached for messages at:" ? Just your one email address?

Is this the same list on you iPad?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MacWannabeNTX

Yes, they are both set up identically. And again, the iPad imsg worked as it should until I got the MBP setup. I have talked again with Apple telephone support this morning and understand more about my issue. Seems as if it is unique to me. They say as I have it set up (I only have one email addy anyway), it should work. If a imsg recipient receives an imsg from me, their response should come back to me thru imsg. If instead they respond to me from their email function, it would come back to me via email. Since I am not working that way, my imsg issue is going to be escalated to Apple Engineering. ~~~Sigh~~~

Sorry bor bothering you guys with this.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

For fear of suggesting the obvious . . . . have you tried removing the iMessage ability on both platforms, restarting both then logging back in again?

Many iMessage anomalies go away after a basic off and on again.

Also worth setting up just the Mac on it's own and seeing if that works in isolation.

QUOTE Thanks
MacWannabeNTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
For fear of suggesting the obvious . . . . have you tried removing the iMessage ability on both platforms, restarting both then logging back in again?

Many iMessage anomalies go away after a basic off and on again.

Also worth setting up just the Mac on it's own and seeing if that works in isolation.
I have no problem with obvious/simple suggestions. I am a complete newbie. Therefore I dont know how to "remove the iMessage ability". I did try on the MBP iMessage/preferences/account, to click on disable my apple id, if that is what you mean, and that did not fix the problem, it was still happening on the iPad. Actually, I would be glad to disable iMsg completely on the MBP and go back to how the iPad imsg used to work so nicely, but I ran that by the Apple Support guy and he said that would not make any difference..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photos on my iPhone | Old Slides, Photos etc. »