New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Old Slides, Photos etc.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AppleDumpLing

AppleDumpLing is an unknown at this point

i have a box full of 50+ y.o. slides and photos i would like to transfer them to disks.

can it be done ?

what would i need to do this ?

what would the cost for the equipment be ?

Thanks,
ADL
QUOTE Thanks
Smalltowntech

Smalltowntech is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9

There are scanners with adapters you can get to scan the slides and any negatives you have, this is a specialty item. I have an older scanner around here somewhere that has one on it, but I am not sure if any of the current scanners have them now as slides and negatives are becoming obsolete. As for the photos, any scanner will work. Depending on what type of scanner you want to pick up and how much money you want to put on it you can go as little or as much as you want. If you don't want to spend the hours it will take to scan you can send them off to some of the companies out there and they will scan them for you - for a fee - but at least you are not using your time.

You can use either a dedicated scanner, or some of the all-in-one printers will do the job for you.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I should add that most companies that offer to scan slides that are reputable will do a FAR better job colour correcting and cleaning the images than you could do yourself, so depending on the fee and the number of slides we're talking about, that could be your best option for preservation.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Here is one I have used. Pretty easy to do and the color corrections are generally good enough for family pictures.

Plusteck 7600i

It's listed as discontinued, but you may find it on Amazon or eBay. It's replaced by

Plustek 8200

It comes with SilverFast 8 software, which is pretty easy to use.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMessage Issue | slide show »