New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Memory Upgrade Difficulty

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kamerdoc23

kamerdoc23 is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

I recently purchased new memory for my MacBook Pro (All Specs below).
When I went to start up the computer after installing the memory, the MacBook just beeps constantly. Slow and steady beeps and they don't stop until I hold down the power button again and "Turn it off" though it never really turns on.
I found a feed on the Apple site that gave a Key for what the beeps mean, but they only listed what it means if there are 1 to 5 beeps, I can't find what it means if the computer is constantly beeping.
The memory I purchased is 1066 vs the 1067 listed on my specs...could that be the problem?
I know the memory was installed properly, I have installed memory on several computers before (never on a Mac) and I know I touched metal before handling the memory to discharge any static electricity from my body. As soon as I put the old memory in the computer started up without a hitch. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really need to speed this computer up for all the applications I'm running at work.

THE MEMORY PURCHASHED:
8GB 2x4GB DDR3 1066MHZ PC3 8500 SODIMM

All the Computer Specs:
MacBook Pro
13-inch, Mid 2010
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

The beeps usually mean that it's the wrong ram...or defective ram.

You could try removing the ram...and "reseating" it one more time. If you still get the beeps...return the ram.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Mac memory is pretty specific. Here most recommend OWC or Crucial. 100% sure it is Mac memory?

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor...o/Upgrade/DDR3

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
kamerdoc23

The receipt says memory for "Mac or PC". So perhaps it simply isn't specific enough?
My boss purchased the memory from eBay, I think I'm going to order my own from Crucial and try again. Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamerdoc23 View Post
The receipt says memory for "Mac or PC". So perhaps it simply isn't specific enough?
As I mentioned above...the ram could be incorrect or defective. If it is the correct ram...it then could be defective.

I would also suggest reinstalling the original ram to make sure that the computer is operating 100% correctly. If you put the original ram back in...and still have troubles...then the computer may be the problem...and not the ram.

Quote:
My boss purchased the memory from eBay, I think I'm going to order my own from Crucial and try again.
Excellent idea!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
kamerdoc23

I put the memory original memory back in and the computer functions perfectly. Going to Crucial tonight...boss went cheap and I paid for it.

Moral of the story: You get what you pay for.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I put the memory original memory back in and the computer functions perfectly.
Good deal. Most definitely sounds like the new ram is/was the problem.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
The memory I purchased is 1066 vs the 1067 listed on my specs...could that be the problem?
HELLO. Problem identified.

Rule #314: NEVER buy RAM from a Windows-only dealer. ALWAYS use a dealer that understands that Macs are NOT "just another brand of PC."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« itunes synch | iTunes jumping to max size on secondary mouse click »