New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Bought older iMac have issue with Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johnny_

johnny_ is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I just got an older Imac (2009) and am having an issue. It doesn't have an OS and when I try to install it it asks for the Apple ID for the person I bought it from. Is there a way for me to get Lion put on my Apple ID so I can just install the damn thing? Thanks in advance guys!
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Did the seller give you the original disks that came with it? If not, get them, you will need them.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

As MacInWin advises you need OS X.6.8 to access the App Store and purchase Lion. With Lion and onwards the operating system belongs to the Apple ID owner, not the computer. You cannot use another's Apple ID. Apple Online have Snow Leopard OS X.6 for $20 posted.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
hankg

hankg is on a distinguished road

are you aware the 1 terabyte HD is faulty and be replaced for free at Apple Store? Be sure to get HD for computer mfg . late 2009.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is it just me or does the "glass" display of the MBP feel really plastic? | iCloud and calendar »