New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New convert here

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

motoburn

motoburn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, 21.5-inch, Mid 2011, 2.5 GHz i5, 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, OS X 10.8 (12A269)

Good evening,

I would like to introduce myself. I just ordered my first Mac,
a late 2011 refurbished 21.5" iMac with the i5 2.5Ghz quad core, 4GB of ram, and <other adequate++ specs>,
from the apple.com store. (I'm pretty excited).

I just finished reading through all of the
stickied posts in the Switcher Hangout.
Thank you for the wealth of information.
I will refer back to these posts several times in the coming months,
I'm sure.

I will primarily be using my Mac for Garage Band.
I play/write music as a hobby and stress outlet...
nothing serious, but important enough that I want my tools to work well.

If anyone has any tips, tricks, or recommendations for this green pea,
I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Moto
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoburn View Post

If anyone has any tips, tricks, or recommendations for this green pee,
I'd love to hear them.
You might want to change that to pea.

I know, spelling and grammar comments are frowned upon. Don't get p'd off at me.
QUOTE Thanks
motoburn

Mac Specs: iMac, 21.5-inch, Mid 2011, 2.5 GHz i5, 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, OS X 10.8 (12A269)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
You might want to change that to pea.

I know, spelling and grammar comments are frowned upon. Don't get p'd off at me.
No worries! I was running out of steam quick last night. I honestly had no business trying to produce a coherent thought at that hour.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Welcome motoburn. You've found a great site. I too was a complete rookie several years ago and put everything I know about macs (ok 99% - I do look at the Apple site :-)) down to this site and it's members. Hope you enjoy your mac as much as I still enjoy using mine.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
motoburn

Thank you Sawday!

I have been enjoying a lot of great information over the last few days browsing this forum. I just received my new (first ever) Mac tonight.

I must say, as a Windows user since 3.1, a Windows NT (Server 2003, 2008 R2) Administrator, and data system developer for Windows network based applications; I am 100% taken by the simple, refined, and incredibly functional experience I've had thus far.

- Setting up my mail took approximately 25 seconds
- Figuring out the Magic Mouse has been a snap (and an, "oh my word!! Where has this jewel been my whole life?!", moment)

Though, I've only just begun the process of learning the ins and outs, I am already 100% satisfied with my decision to switch.

Next steps:
1. Get my Phonic Helix MkII firewire mixer configured with GarageBand (hope this goes smoothly)
2. See what Valve has done with the Steam for Mac
3. Find my specs so I can update my profile here (will probably do this first as it will be the easiest

Later,
Moto
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoburn View Post
(and an, "oh my word!! Where has this jewel been my whole life?!", moment)
We get a lot of that around here. The “OH Why didnt i switch sooner”

On the Steam query, Valve have done well porting it over to the Mac side, but i dont believe it is as stable as it is in the Windows environment. . . .

Enjoy ur 21” and be sure to hang around . . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Smalltowntech

Smalltowntech is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9

If you are one of those who want to learn most of the shortcuts and details of the Mac you could try some of the screen cast online tutorial apps. If you are a long time pc user like me you have picked up quite a few shortcuts over time and find them quite useful. Of course if you don't like the video format and want to look them up yourself the apple website has several pages with keyboard shortcuts and other helpful tips.

I currently use steam client on my mbp and the programs so far they run great with limited issues. One advantage is that if you decide to use bootcamp to install windows you will still have access to the programs you purchased.

I have had my Mac less than a year but I am still thoroughly enjoying it. I visit back here all the time on my Mac and iPad learning as I go. This is truly an amazing site for information.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« blocked plug ins | Mac Air Virus Protection? »