New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Adobe Flash Player Install Failure

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacWannabeNTX

MacWannabeNTX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IPad 4 16 GB IOS 6.1.3, Macbook Pro 4GB 500 Hd ML 10.8.3

Please help this new Mac user. I was trying to install from Adobe the Flash Player. Went thru the download and then at the last steps, it failed. I have no idea why. First inclination is to delete what is showing on my download stack in the Dock or what is showing in the Finder Window in my download file (the thing I clicked to start the process on my Mac) but I am so afraid of messing up my Mac, I dont know whether to delete those things and try again or what. Please Help.
QUOTE Thanks
romatech

romatech is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM

This happened to me during my setup a few days ago. I just tried the installation again and it worked fine the second time!
QUOTE Thanks
MacWannabeNTX

Oh, I tried 6-7 times, trying to download from the Adobe website. I did learn how to uninstall tho so hope that was clean and I havent done any damage to my MBP. Anyway, on the Adobe forum there was a thread where someone just had the same problem using the same MBP that I have. Someone from Adobe responded saying the problem was Adobe's and they would help this person with the issue. Since the Adobe employee included their email, I sent them a note asking for help so now I wait. Or I will just forget about it.
QUOTE Thanks
MacWannabeNTX

Ok so I just wont have a Flash Player. I called Apple Support they checked out some settings on my machine and said they were all correct and then had me go thru the Adobe Flash Install process while they were on the line and it failed again showing general installation error. They said call adobe since it was not my MBP with the problem. Called Adobe, I could barely understand them and they said there would be a fee for their support, their technical support was not free. Anywhere from $99.95 to $149. I said no thank you and hung up. Very disappointed since I cant have flash on my ipad and One of the reasons I bought a computer.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

A quick workaround in the meantime is to use Chrome which comes with Flash built-in.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Java 7 Update 13 Now Available for OS X, Complete with Web Plug-in | Mac|Life
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacWannabeNTX View Post
Please help this new Mac user. I was trying to install from Adobe the Flash Player.
Methinks you misread his original post.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MacWannabeNTX

Oh its entirely possible that I MISUNDERSTOOD rather than misread. I thought it should be ok downloading right from the Adobe site tho. But now I'm scared to try this link in your post because it says Java and I unchecked that in my Sys Preference settings because I thought that Java was bad to have. Please advise.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

I was pointing out osxx's link to Java when you said you had a Flash issue.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MacWannabeNTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
A quick workaround in the meantime is to use Chrome which comes with Flash built-in.
Im sorry to be so dense but I overlooked this advice earlier because I have seen some posts somewhere that said Chrome could cause some problems so I thought I didnt want that. I dont remember what kind of problems but IF I can successfully install chrome you mean my flash install problem would be moot? Do I just do a search for a way to get a chrome download method? And then is it ok to have 2 browsers - safari & chrome?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I was pointing out osxx's link to Java when you said you had a Flash issue.
I apologize wrong thread it happens.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

I've had up to four browsers installed. They are just like any other application in that they don't overlap in any detrimental way.

Yes, the Flash problem would cease to exist. This doesn't solve the Flash problem for Safari but it does get you going with a browser in which Flash works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
I apologize wrong thread it happens.
You seem like an ok guy so I'll let it go (what kind of dark lord am I?).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MacWannabeNTX

I'm ready to go with Chrome and quite trying to load Flash, I have been fooling with this Flash issue all day inside and its 80 degrees here in Texas today, need to get out and ride my horse. Ok, so now the real stupid question, how do I download Chrome? Ive never loaded a browser before.
QUOTE Thanks
MacWannabeNTX

Ok heres where I am right now. I have Google Chrome loaded as an additional browser. As I understand it, chrome has built in flash if I find a youtube video that needs that. Ok, in my processes today, I have also loaded Firefox and want to get it off, can I just drag to trash or will that leave "stuff" on my mac? If I need to uninstall, how? And THAT, is my last question on this subject. Im tired of it. But thanks soooo much!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Yes, just drag Firefox to the trash. If you've run it once, it will have created a few configuration files but they won't take up much space.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« all images on MacBook Pro | How to shrink an audio file? »