New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook Pro 1.1 with older Sony trinitron

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gvenable

gvenable is on a distinguished road

I've read a lot of posts on here about the issues of using newer macbook pros with Sony Triniton as monitors but haven't seen any posts about using a macbook pro 1.1
with a Sony Trinitron. I bought a monoprice adapter with all the proper connectors but am getting nothing. Is there a simple apple solution DVI to VGA for the older Macbooks?
I'm sure there could be something wrong with my parts, the hookup ect but I'm not getting the Macbook to recognize there's a another display available. Doesn't make sense to upgrade to a newer TV without a newer computer.

GV
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Since the Sony Trinitron monitor is a CRT type monitor and has standard RCA inputs, you can probably use a DVD to RCA style converter. Not sure it would work right but maybe you can find one from these examples and then order it from monoprice.com.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

So the TV doesn't have a DVI input in the back? I used to have a Trinitron and it had DVI in the back and my MBP is from mid 2008. I used a DVI-DVI plug and it worked fine.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My first question - did you pick up the Sony remote and hit the "Input" button to change it to the input you're using for your Mac?

What adapter/connectors/cable did you get?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
gvenable

gvenable is on a distinguished road

Okay, it finally worked. It's a Monoprice adapter and I have numerous cables. There are two little switches on the adapter that have to be pushed down and then the Mac recognized there was another display so I could mirror. After that I finally got the Svideo cable and the yellow video cable to work but the VGA cable seems to be defective. Which is a bit of a bummer as it would probably be a better pic. But after much manipulation of these tiny saturation, contrast, hue, and more buttons the pic is pretty good if soft. For $30 I can watch Hulu and Netflix. Woo hoo! Thanks for all your input it helped me think this through. ( You think this one is old..my 12 inch macbook running Tiger is still alive)
GV
15 Macbook ProMacBookPro1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
2 GHz 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz 10.6.8 Leopard
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Java 7 Update 10 | life span of macbooks? »