Thread: Looking to switch macs
01-30-2013, 08:10 PM #1Looking to switch macs
I have a mbp 15 I picked up new in May 2012. So far it has been running very well and I am really starting to enjoy the whole shift from pcs to macs. At some point in the near future I am looking at wiping my current computer back to factory start and gifting it to a family member (it is either gift them my current one or buy them a new one) and picking up a 13" air for going back/forth to work and picking up a 21" imac for home for those times I need a beefier machine and want to run some computer games. The questions I have are:
* Where is a good place to start for wiping the computer back to square one with the original OS installed?
* If I do pick up a 13" air is there an easy way to put most of my current apps on it (I don't want them all on there) - does the app store remember which apps I have purchased or would it be more effective to use time machine?
* Based upon the specs of the newer 13"air, they seem to be able to handle most of the day to day programs. Is there any reason not to switch to a lighter laptop and home desktop combo? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
01-30-2013, 08:27 PM #2
- Member Since
- Jan 22, 2010
- Victoria, BC
- Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
Second question first: it would be more efficient to let Migration Assistant move all the apps and then just delete the ones you don't want (I'd suggest using AppCleaner or AppZapper for this).
Third question next: using a program like Chronosync in combination with iCloud, I think you can have the two machines in harmonious sync for a very effective duo.
The easiest way to "wipe the computer back to default" is to use the Recovery Partition that is already part of your Mountain Lion install.
If you do decide to buy your family member a new machine, can I have the 15" MBP?
01-30-2013, 09:10 PM #3
01-30-2013, 09:53 PM #4
- Member Since
- Jul 07, 2008
- Winchester, VA
- 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
+1 for Chronosync. Great program for keeping two machines in sync.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By SSC in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 1Last Post: 04-20-2011, 06:31 AM
By scotartt in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 2Last Post: 05-27-2010, 12:06 AM
By sam12345 in forum Apple DesktopsReplies: 14Last Post: 11-01-2009, 06:09 PM
By sarends in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 5Last Post: 10-31-2009, 10:31 AM
By adrian29uk in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 43Last Post: 01-31-2006, 02:48 PM