New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook Pro 13 (mid 2012) speed problem, or is it me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Buc021

Buc021 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13 i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV

Hi everyone,

I recorded a short video regarding the performance of my Macbook Pro (13 , i5, 2,5ghz, 4GB memory) purchased 4 months ago, as I recently have been a bit disappointed.

Applications open:

Calculator
Chrome (set at Facebook)
Safari (set at Mac-Forums.com)
Mail (having less of 300MB stored data to deal with)
Outlook for Mac (same as with Mail)

1,4 GB of memory free (out of 4GB) see top of the page.

I takes 24 bounces for Opera to start!

WHY?

ScreenDemo - YouTube
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc021 View Post

I takes 24 bounces for Opera to start!
Better information would be:

- how much ram do you have?
- how full is your HD?
- screenshots of Activity Monitor (cpu & system memory tabs)

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

He already said he had 4GB of RAM, but the other two questions were unanswered.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

And why FOUR browsers?
QUOTE Thanks
G4 ibookboy

G4 ibookboy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini

good question.... why do you need 4 browsers? Why not only use Safari? Safari is all i use and it works just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Buc021

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13 i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Better information would be:

- how much ram do you have?
- how full is your HD?
- screenshots of Activity Monitor (cpu & system memory tabs)

- Nick
1. 4GB (during the video you will see how much RAM is free)
2. Out of 500GB I have 250GB free space
3. I checked it (without providing the screenshot) after recording the video and it would show
the normal programs that use memory (Outlook, Mail, Chrome, Safari)

I am aware that restarting the Mac gives you a better system state, but it seems strange to me that if I have over 2GB of RAM free, no special programs open (apart from the ones I mentioned) it is still taking 16 bounces for Opera to open. As an example, with 10% more memory free when restarting the Mac, it takes 7 bounces.

Today for instance I had my computer returning from sleep-mode, waited a while. Opened Outlook, and the beach ball would appear 3-4 times within a single minute (e.g. going from inbox to sent items, clicking on a mail within Outlook). The beach ball would also appear sometimes when switching to Safari and refreshing a page (having Outlook,Mail, Chrome open) It is perhaps just for 3-4-5 seconds, but it is annoying at times knowing that I have an i5 2,5ghz processor and lots of free RAM and I am technically minded enough to see that nothing could be hogging my system when looking at activity monitor.

I know that running many programs at the same time could slow down the system, but I dont find it normal to have Mail, Outlook, Safari and Chrome running (just 4 programs), having 2+GB of RAM free to get into situations that my Mac just stops working (either freezes temporarily 2-3 seconds) or encountering the beach ball.

If I increase the RAM to 8GB, would that make a really huge difference?
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold

Sounds more like a slowdown in your internet connection. Every action you listed (Open Outlook, checking inbox, opening a mail, open Safari, refresh a page) requires communications to your ISP. You'll see beachballs if the ISP is slow because your system is waiting for the other end of the Internet to respond. I'm still curious about why you have more than one browser open, and why two email system (Mail and Outlook). If Mail and Outlook are checking the same mailbox, that can add to your delays in responding, too.
QUOTE Thanks
Buc021

I am on a UPC 120Mbps/down and 10 Mbps up connection. Therefore my internet connection is really not the problem

Your suggestion that Mail and Outlook could be checking the same mailbox is not the case. Outlook handles one business address (separate dedicated mail server) and Mail handles my personal email (Yahoo and Gmail for 5 accounts).
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

Well, then, to answer you original question, we've eliminated everything else, so it has to be you. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I have a core i7 MBA with 4GB of RAM and it takes 0 bounces for opera to open. With only Opera opening - Opera opens right away. When I have 3 other browsers open - I get 2 bounces before Opera opens.

I have ~150MB free with that many browsers open.

From what I could tell -> Opera looks like it was being called from /Applications - but since you called it from spotlight I can't be 100% sure. Are you sure that Opera is on the hard drive and installed in Applications? You aren't calling it from an encrypted dmg or anything like that?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been following this thread...and I've been thinking something similar to what "IvanLasston" has hit on.

If Opera is the only application with this issue...I'm thinking:

- It was installed incorrectly.
- If the install has multiple parts...maybe these "parts/files" have gotten separated...causing computer "confusion".
- Maybe the program itself has gotten corrupted in some way.
- Maybe repairing permissions will help (Disk Utility).
- Maybe the most current version of Opera wasn't installed.
- Maybe multiple versions of Opera were installed...causing computer "confusion".
- Start from scratch. Uninstall what is currently installed...then reinstall Opera.

Just shooting a bunch of ideas your way. Some ideas obviously won't apply...but some may.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Buc021

Hi Nick

Thanks for your input as well.

I have re-installed Opera (as an example) - after my Mac started up- and it takes 3 bounces for it to open.

I wish to mention that Opera (as an app) is just an example. If I have my computer running for a couple of hours (Mail,Outlook, Safari and Chrome active) it seems that when opening another program (regardless if this is Opera or not) it takes a lot of time before such program opens.

When my Mac has started up I have 2,5GB of free memory, and it takes 3-4 bounces for instance for Opera to open. A few hours later (with 2,1GB of free memory as an example) it can take up to 24 bounces for Opera to open. As mentioned, this also applies to Google Chrome (3-4 bounces when Mac has just started up, while it takes 10-15 bounces or more when I have used my Mac for a few hours)

In activity monitor there is nothing that lets me assume that my system is slow, and the available RAM in any of such cases is between 1.8 - 2,2 GB. I have not installed all sorts of tweaks and there are 2 minor applications running at the top (a ”Kill all” application and a ”Sound amplifier”). Bluetooth is off as well.

I have verified my Mac with Disk Utility during the time I was writing this post, and opened Opera again and it too 31 bounces (and this is 15 minutes after I opened Opera after a fresh install with 3 bounces)

Closing Opera again and opening Microsoft Word 9 bounces. Closing Word and opening Chrome, 10 bounces. Maybe I am impatient, and of course the time to open a program depends on the size of the app. On the other hand iTunes opens in 5 bounces (even with Safar and Chrome in the background).

I think it would be time perhaps for some extra RAM ...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc021 View Post

In activity monitor there is nothing that lets me assume that my system is slow...
You may not think so...but I am not convinced. This is why I asked for screenshots of Activity Monitor earlier (System Memory tab) way back in reply #1 of this thread...but you choose not to provide them.

I'll ask once more...and then it's up to you. Please provide screenshots of Activity Monitors "System Memory" tab. It's very important that you ONLY do this when your computer is acting slow (lots of bounces when opening apps.)...otherwise it won't be helpful.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

You might also provide a screenshot of Activity Monitor after clicking on the %CPU column header to get it sorted with the biggest CPU user at the top. The screen will keep changing as the system moves, but the one at the top, if it's a problem, will stay at the top.
QUOTE Thanks
Buc021

Opera, when opened not through Finder but directly from Applications, also took 15 bounces to open (which I find a lot) and I took screenshots of Activity Monitor

1. Activity Monitor (System Memory)

2. Activity Monitor (CPU highest)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« System set up | Installing hp printer »