Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    2012 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM
    Stick with Microsoft Office?
    Migrating from Windows 7 to a Mac Mini. I have MS Office on my Windows PC and have many Word and Excell documents to copy over. Should I continue with MS Office or get something like iWork? I know that I can convert documents and spreadsheets in iWork to a reasonably compatible Office format, but i'm thinking more from a practical and performance point of view.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Though I love Pages and Keynote dearly, if you're comfortable with MS Office and know it well (and can adjust to the minor accommodations for the Mac) then you're best off with that.

OTOH, if you've been aching to make your documents look INSANELY better but never had the time to dig into Office enough to find out how (if even possible) to do that ... the iWork suite will blow the doors off your colleagues' MS documents every time when it comes to good-looking!

Every time (without fail!) that I do a Keynote presentation for a crowd that is mostly Windows users, the first question is ALWAYS "how in the name of sweet baby Jesus did you DO THAT??!"

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Without all the fluff and opinions as to which we love and blah, blah, stick with Office if you're comfortable with that. MS Office is the de facto standard for business and education - enough said.

However, the iWork applications (Pages, Keynote, Numbers) are done very well and worth trying out at least. Also, if you're in the market to purchase Office, I would hold off a bit as Microsoft will soon launch Office 2013. I'm not certain if you should buy Office 2011 right now that you would be eligible for a free upgrade.

Specs:
    1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
    It looks like Office 2013 has released. (At least in the US)
    Office - Office.com
    Office 2011 - isn't bad - and the new licensing seems to want to push you to a $100 USD subscription/year - vs $150 for 3 computers for Office home use.

Specs:
    The version of Office 2013 you linked to is not for the Mac - yet. See the following MacLife article: LINK

I expect we'll see it sometime soon though. Mac Office is too big a cash cow for Microsoft not to include a Mac version.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    It's also rumoured that the MBU generates $500 million in business which, although arguably insubstantial in relation to total revenues, is still significant.

As with most releases, the Mac version will likely be released a year after this one so expect 2014 at the end of the year. I just hope that they don't go full on with the suscription model. I may have access to the internet 98% of the time but I don't want to be tied to a cloud product for something so instrumental in my daily routine.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Aye - it looks like even with 365 you get 2011 for now. But since it is always up to date - if you sign up for it you will get the upgrade to 2013.

That being said - my point was - it seems that they are changing the licensing scheme for boxed software. If you look at the 2013 PC - everything is for 1 PC now. If you want a household license you'll need to subscribe - so waiting may not be what you want. The 2011 home does still have a 3 Computer (1 household) license - vs $99/year for 5 computers - that is being offered by Office 365.
    Compare Microsoft Office Products & Subscription Plans - Office.com

Specs:
    I hear you. I currently have the 3 license version of Office 2011 for the Mac since at the time I purchased it, I had two Macs. However, I can live with a single license of Office for future use as long as there is a viable version for mobile devices. (iPad, iPhone)

Specs:
    Ah, good point. As someone who never installs it on multiple machines, I hadn't really considered that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ok, so for $8.33/mo, you get Office (all apps), 20GB of SkyDrive space, synced settings across machines, streamed Office and 60 minutes of Skype call time/mo? Breaking it down, that's actually not all that bad. Sure, it's more expensive in the long run (Office 2010 was released in June of 2010 so there was 19 months between them for $190) but for only a $50 difference, you do get quite a bit.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Yeah - what I am afraid of - is if you want a mobile device version - Microsoft is going to push you to the Office 365 subscription. If you read the description - this is what is being hinted at.

Office 365 Home Premium Online | Monthly Subscription - Office.com
    From the Office 365 Description
    Office on more devices
    Install Office applications on your PC, Mac, Windows tablet, and other select devices.
    Office supports PCs running Windows 7 or higher, and Macs with Mac OS X 10.5.8 or higher. Office Mobile supports Windows Phone devices running Windows Phone OS 7.5 and higher.
    View system requirements

Specs:
    I suppose the mobile part doesn't bother me because I can't see myself using it on either my iPod Touch, Android phone or Nexus 7. Worst case - I use a free suite to make quick edits or viewings.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    If you are always upgrading then - a subscription based model will probably work out in your favor. That being said - I had been using Office 2007 - since it's release - on my work PCs. Just one of those things - I may not upgrade to the next version. For my home - I tend to upgrade so I may go with the subscription. But at work - for example - we are on Office 2007 for PC.

I guess we should also point out that iWork is $20/app - Keynote/Pages/Numbers - so $60 USD for 5 installs.

Specs:
    iWork would work for I (haha) if I didn't need 100% compatibility and multiple installs mattered (I live on my own).

I'm not sure I'm going to go with the subscription model if it's made available for the Mac. If it is, I think I'll buy it outright. There's something to be said about not being beholden to a cloud service to do my work.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    I've never really been a fan of software that is subscription based. For sure...folks that upgrade often may save in the long run. I just hate that you always "owe the man" year after year...whether you want/need to upgrade to the latest version or not...or just to keep your subscription active.

Many professional/workplace statistical software titles that I use (and have used for many years as far back as the 1990's) have been subscription based. Either the annual subscription is based on software upgrades, the number of users using the software, or the numbers of "cpu's" the software is installed on. These are software titles like Minitab, SAS, etc.).

So it would seem that Microsoft is trying to "migrate" what has been in the business/professional environment for years (at least for some software titles) to home users.

Personally when my current Office 2011 becomes obsolete...and if Microsoft Office at that time is subscription only...I think that I will be much more motivated to switch to iWork, OpenOffice, or NeoOffice.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I just hate that you always "owe the man" year after year...whether you want/need to upgrade to the latest version or not...or just to keep your subscription active.
    This is the one of my primary dislikes of the subscription model. It's not so much the cost but the fact that it's recurring. Add to that the fact that you need a constant connection to a server (hooray, let's add a layer of complexity between me and Office) and I lose interest. However, if the price is right, I might be interested. Perhaps I'll take it for a spin tonight with the trial in my VM.
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information