iMac trackpad and keyboard going crazy
    Hello all, im fairly new to macs. I have a 21.5" i5 2011 imac running mountain lion. Recently, my computer has been going through these cycles where most all trackpad gestures stop working and whenever I type it is in this random wingdings symbol looking font. Also, other things have stopped responding like the computer and display sleep sliders in the energy saver settings. they wont move if i try to drag them. Usually a few hours later it will work fine, but now it has been this way for a while. Very frustrating, and when it is in this crazy mode I can't do anything not being able to type (restarting, shutting down, etc.). Any ideas? Thanks

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    What maintenance have you done, if any?

I would certainly recommend running OnyX if you haven't already. If you don't have it, try running Disk Utility and "repair permissions" on your boot disk (you can't do "repair disk" but you can verify it).

I have not done any maintenance. To be honest, I was never told about or shown what kind of maintenance needs to be done when I bought the computer. I'm not even sure how I can download onyx since I can only type random symbols? Maybe i can email a link to myself from another computer.I know this is a really noob response, but I know what disk utility is but not sure what or how to use a boot disk, sorry. Thanks for the response.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Your boot disk is your hard drive.

Here's the link for the Mountain Lion version of OnyX: http://joel.barriere.pagesperso-oran...l/108/OnyX.dmg

When you run it, go to the "Automation" tab, check everything and let it run. That's all you need to do.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    This may help running Onyx. Best utility about no doubt:-

Onyx Mac – Instant Download Onyx for Mac OS X Blog Archive How to use OnyX for Mac
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information