New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Restoring Chrome bookmarks from Time Machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Barnyard

Barnyard is on a distinguished road

Hi

Can anyone help with the process of re-installing bookmarks to Google Chrome from a time Capsule? So far I have gone to:

Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Bookmarks;

opened the Time Machine; then gone back to the relevant date, and hit restore.

The time machine then exits and I'm back on the desktop with the default window still open.

If this is right so far, where I'm struggling is with the final step- how on earth to get the bookmarks to re-establish themselves as they were on the Google Page.

So in the other words, it looks I've retrieved them from backup, but I can't see anything!

I might be doing this wrong- anyone suggest a solution?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

What you're doing should work. However you could try opening the current folder and dragging the file from Time Machine in the current chrome bookmarks folder rather than using restore

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
If this is right so far, where I'm struggling is with the final step- how on earth to get the bookmarks to re-establish themselves as they were on the Google Page.
If you're talking about the new tab page when you say "Google Page", those shortcuts are counted as extensions and they can be found at (~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
adambbb

adambbb is on a distinguished road

I have a time machine backup. Don't want to use migration assistant.

I do not see this folder in application support: Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Bookmarks

In fact in my user account I can't access library at all. Is it hidden?

I'm in Mavericks OSX 10.9.1

Please help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Your user library folder is hidden by default in Mavericks. Do this to unhide it:

Open your home folder (/Users/yourusername) in the Finder. Depending on your Finder settings, this may be as easy as simply opening a new Finder window. Otherwise, choose Home from the Finder’s Go menu (Go > Home); or press Shift-Command-H.

Still in the Finder, choose View > Show View Options (or press Command-J).

Near the bottom of the resulting View-Options palette is a setting called Show Library Folder. Enable this option. Your Library folder is immediately visible.

That will unhide it - but be careful in the future. That folder is hidden for a reason.

Now go ahead and follow the directions in the previous post about restoring your bookmarks from Time Machine.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambbb View Post
In fact in my user account I can't access library at all. Is it hidden?
Yes. In Finder, hold down Option and open the Go menu - it will be listed in there.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
adambbb

Thanks for the replies. I can see my library on my computer HD but following your instructions doesn't allow me to see the user library on the time machine back up. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

I expose the library by holding down opt-Go. When I do it your method I don't see "show Library Folder".
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

You need to unhide the library so that it remains visible - use my instructions above. The other instruction results in a temporary view only and may not work when in Time Machine unless you go through the same procedure for each date.
QUOTE Thanks
adambbb

Sorry still not getting it here.

1. I am not in Time machine. When I enter time machine I am only able to see today. I can't move back to my last back up - even though I know its there. I see all the dates on the side bar but they don't let me go back.

2. Following your instructions - I don't see "Show Library" at bottom of View-Options. I only have show icons, show icon preview and show preview column.

3. Again I am just trying to get into my user library on my Time machine backup so I can access my Chrome bookmarks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

You're not doing something right if you're using Mavericks. Try this instead:

Open your terminal application: Applications, Utilities, Terminal.app

Type the following in the terminal dialog:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Press enter. Then type in "exit" to get out of terminal. Your user library will now show up in the Finder. Open Time Machine, go to a date when you know your bookmarks are OK and follow the directions you've already been given to restore them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ftp problem | lil Snitch usage? »