New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Made the switch, well sorta

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jtomlinson

I just received my new iBook in the mail and I must say I really do like it. I have been using PC's for about 10 years now and figured I would try something new. I don't ever plan on giving up my PC's, because they are how I earn my living. But I do love learning and playing with something new, so I bought myself this iBook for christmas.

One question I do have, does anyone know how difficult it is to install an Airport wireless card and more ram into the iBook? I didn't get the wireless card pre-installed because I don't need it right away, but would like to use wireless eventually with my already wireless home network. And I didn't get the ram preinstalled because I found quite a few websites with cheaper prices.

Thanks,
Jon
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I am not sure about installing the airport but im pretty sure its relatively simple. RAM is a since to install
QUOTE Thanks
JazzTrpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtomlinson
I just received my new iBook in the mail and I must say I really do like it. I have been using PC's for about 10 years now and figured I would try something new. I don't ever plan on giving up my PC's, because they are how I earn my living. But I do love learning and playing with something new, so I bought myself this iBook for christmas.

One question I do have, does anyone know how difficult it is to install an Airport wireless card and more ram into the iBook? I didn't get the wireless card pre-installed because I don't need it right away, but would like to use wireless eventually with my already wireless home network. And I didn't get the ram preinstalled because I found quite a few websites with cheaper prices.

Thanks,
Jon
I'm not sure about the newer iBooks but on the previous models, you just lift up the keyboard and the airport card slot was right there. Easy.
QUOTE Thanks
jcromartie

Yes, installing an Airport card is simple. Getting to the RAM slot requires you to remove the Airport bracket, however. Have a small screwdriver handy, and keep an eye on those little screws.
QUOTE Thanks
jtomlinson

Thank you both. I should be ordering my Airport card and Ram after christmas.
QUOTE Thanks
pjn

pjn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4

Hi

First post here - I also bought my first Mac over the weekend (12" iBook) and think it's great (even though I don't know what the heck I'm doing yet!)

Just confirming that the airport card is really easy to install (I bought one the day after the iBook). Literally takes a few minutes (it took longer to refit the keyboard properly than it did to install the card - mainly cos I'm a heavy handed!)

Had it up-and-running with the wireless DLink 624 router within 5 more minutes (of which most was spent trying to figure out how to enter the 128-bit encryption key - again I wasn't paying attention!)

Go for it - the wireless stuff is excellent!
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

welcome aboard jtomlinson and pjn!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« looking to switch - ibook G4 or powerbook | mime files - help! »