New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

maybe you know: Where do the trashed files go with an external HD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

illuminati

If you delete files from an external harddrive, but eject the harddrive before you empy the trash, do the files really get deleted or where do they go? thanks
-Dan
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

There is an invisible folder on every Mac formatted hard-drive called "Trashes". The files are stored in there until you empty the trash. If you eject the drive before you empty the trash, the files stay there until you plug it back in and empty the trash.

QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminati
If you delete files from an external harddrive, but eject the harddrive before you empy the trash, do the files really get deleted or where do they go? thanks
-Dan
Have you tried re-connecting the HD and then opening the trash from the dock to see if the files are there? I think the files are kept in a hidden system folder called .trashes on the external disk.

I've just tried this with a USB thumbdrive I have. I trashed a file on it, and I could then see the file in the hidden .trashes folder (you can't see this hidden folder with finder, you need to use some other 3rd party program). I then ejected the disk, and the file i deleted dissappeared from my trash, but wheni reconnected the disk, the file reappeared in the trash.
QUOTE Thanks
illuminati

ahhh, OK, makes sense. thanks guys. So this will work no matter how much time(shut-downs too?) went by before reconnecting?
-Dan
QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

Since the files are still on the HD, and as long as you don't empty the trash in the meantime you should be ok.
QUOTE Thanks
illuminati

well, I actually dont want the files to be there and take up space where I cant see them.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Then reconnect the drive and empty the trash.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New member to the Apple World | "Upper Bar" »