New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Connecting Wireless Printer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

agilityknine

agilityknine is on a distinguished road

I have had my Mac Mini for just a few days and am in the big learning curve transferring from a PC. I purchased a Dell B1160w to use with the Mac Mini while traveling. I have plugged the printer into the Mini using the USB cable and nothing is happening. The printer is on.

Since there is not disc drive on the Mini, what do I do to get it to recognize the printer?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by agilityknine View Post
I have had my Mac Mini for just a few days and am in the big learning curve transferring from a PC. I purchased a Dell B1160w to use with the Mac Mini while traveling. I have plugged the printer into the Mini using the USB cable and nothing is happening. The printer is on.

Since there is not disc drive on the Mini, what do I do to get it to recognize the printer?

Thanks.
Hello and welcome,

Go to System Preferences>Hardware>Print and Scan>Print and click the + sign bottom left of the pane. Your mini should then find the printer.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
agilityknine

My apologies if this is posted twice. The mini did find the printer, but I can't get it to print. The message I get is "print file was not accepted".

Ideas?

Thanks for the help,
Beverly
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Quote:
My apologies if this is posted twice. The mini did find the printer, but I can't get it to print. The message I get is "print file was not accepted".

Ideas?

Thanks for the help,
Beverly
Hi Beverly..only thing I can suggest is go to the printer's website and download the driver for it.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Dell printers are re-badged Lexmark's sadly. Go to the Lexmark web site and look for one similar and try that. You will not find Apple drivers from Dell.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Here are the systems the Dell site offers drivers for.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-01-13 at 19.59.14.png (83.1 KB, 37 views)
QUOTE Thanks
agilityknine

I downloaded the driver from the Dell website above. When I try to install it a box comes up that says "Installer can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer". The help box says it will be in Applications but it is not.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

If it is a Lexmark printer then what is this...Lexmark Printer Drivers v2.4 for Mac OS X v10.6 ?

Also have you been following this routine ?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-01-13 at 22.18.47.png (168.2 KB, 34 views)

QUOTE Thanks
agilityknine

It isn't a Lexmark. And since it is a Mini, I am not able to load a CD.
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Also
Quote:
When I try to install it a box comes up that says "Installer can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer"
If you go to system preferences > security and privacy you will see at the bottom of the box three download options, which one have you checked. I suspect from the above message it is either the first or second option.

1)Mac App store
2)Mac app store and identified developers
3)Anywhere.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I was able to get this driver which seemed to go OK during install though I did not complete the process entirely since I don't need the drivers for that printer.

I think the message you are seeing is the one that is part of the latest security settings in OS X that were introduced in either 10.7 or 10.8. Try the following and see if it resolves the error:

1. Go to System Preferences and select the Security and Privacy pane.
2. Select the General tab. At the bottom of the tab change the setting to "Anywhere". If this choice is grayed out click the padlock and enter an administrator password.
3. Once the installer has completed its job you can return it to the previous settings.

That message happens if the system cannot identify something as being from a safe source. Since that driver pre-dates the OS it is a bit suspicious as far as the OS security settings are concerned.

I see Oldscribe's fingers are moving a bit faster than mine.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
agilityknine

Thanks so much Oldscribe! That worked. Now all I have to do is figure the wireless part out.
QUOTE Thanks
Smalltowntech

Smalltowntech is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9

I had so much fun trying to get my older Dell printer to play nice with my Mac, I finally caved and picked up a brother all-in-one laser that is wireless and every computer pc/mac in my house talks nice to. Sometimes it could be worth it to pick up a new printer.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
It isn't a Lexmark. And since it is a Mini, I am not able to load a CD.
Sorry..it was getting late. The Lexmark issue threw me as well.

Just a suggestion but one which may prove fruitful for you down the line, why don't you invest in an external CD/DVD read/writer ? Apple list a USB Superdrive in their store and Samsung have a decent looking one out at the moment which is less than half the price Just bought a Samsung SE208DB instead of a Superdrive

QUOTE Thanks
josehill

josehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Dell printers are re-badged Lexmark's sadly. Go to the Lexmark web site and look for one similar and try that. You will not find Apple drivers from Dell.
Not always. Dell has used several companies as original equipment manufacturers over the years. This particular printer appears to be made by Samsung.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro 2nd screen won't wake | problems shopping on Amazon with Safari browser »