New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

blu ray , more bag of hurt

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pattiniamo

pattiniamo is on a distinguished road

Dear all,
Please tell me which software I should buy to watch blu ray movies on my mac pro
I have an external ASUS blu ray drive which is mac compatible and I already have used to watch 1 blu ray movie with the AISEESOFT blu ray player software that I bought online , however that is the only movie that it plays , all the other blu ray movies that I tried to watch were choppy and stuttering and stopped often,
Do you have any suggestion ?
I have a 7 years old mac pro 1,1 with Dual-Core Intel Xeon 3 GHz , 2 processors ,4 cores total,
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And what version of OS X?

If I was trying it on my Macs, I'd give DVDfab's player first shot and has 30 day free trial - link.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pattiniamo

I have 2 boxes in the drawer , 1 is tiger ,the other is leopard.
I don't know which 1 is installed
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Click on the Apple logo on the top left and select About this Mac to figure out what version of OS X you have installed..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Mac Pro model 1.1 came with Tiger (OS X.4.7) so you should have silver/grey discs for that. It is long in the tooth so if Leopard OS X.5 is a full retail install DVD, install that. Even better would be Snow Leopard OS X.6 available for $20 from Apple online and Lion OS X.7 will also run on your machine.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't think you're going to find a Blu-Ray player that is going to work with 10.4 or 10.5.

QUOTE Thanks
pattiniamo

I just found out I have OS X LEOPARD , not snow leopard .
But I'm going to upgrade to mountain lion on Monday , would that help me play the blu ray software ?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

My question would be, why do you want to play it on your Mac Pro?

You can get exceptional Blu-Ray players for $100 nowadays.

Mountain Lion will not install on your machine.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Lion is it for you. You have to go Snow Leopard, update to OS x.6.8 and then Lion if it is available through the App Store. Is it does anyone in the States know? Certainly not down under.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Lion is not available from the MAS. However, some folks have been able to order it direct from Apple by phone: 1-800-MY-APPLE.
QUOTE Thanks
pattiniamo

I seem to have solved my problem by upgrading my OS to snow leopard , now my green lantern blu ray is playing wothout a glitch and it looks great with my mac pro display, soon I will upgrade to mountain lion and I will try more blu ray discs , hope I'll have no more problems.
Thanks to all of you
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiniamo View Post
I seem to have solved my problem by upgrading my OS to snow leopard , now my green lantern blu ray is playing wothout a glitch and it looks great with my mac pro display, soon I will upgrade to mountain lion and I will try more blu ray discs , hope I'll have no more problems.
Thanks to all of you
iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early*2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
Xserve (Early 2009)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
If you do not see your computer in this list then you cannot upgrade to ML.
QUOTE Thanks
Ctrl-Opt-Del

Ctrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really nice
Mac Specs: Not got one, yet...

You could try VLC, it's free & has built-in support for Blu-Rays:

VideoLAN - Download official VLC media player for Mac OS X (latest VLC for Mac OS X 10.5 and later / 64bit mode requires Mac OS X 10.6 or later)

For my purposes as an engineering undergraduate; Windows is respectable (& generally necessary), Linux is admirable (& often useful), OS X is enjoyable (& requires no further justification, although plenty could be given)!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 1 iMac + PC | neo office »