Thread: A few questions

electrictinsel
    A few questions
    I've been a PC user from the age of six, but from the age of eleven have been pining after a Mac. Five years later, and my 12" G4 iBook should be arriving tomorrow (and it had better or I'm going to have a heart attack.)

I've just got a few questions, though:

1) I've always been good with picking up how to work things (instruction booklets are for the weak), but I've heard that OS X is particularly hard to master. Is it worth getting a book on it? Or, if so, are there any online guides that are just as good?

2) I have BT Broadband and a BT Voyager 2000 Wireless base. Will I be able to connect to it with AirPort, or will I need to look into getting another base specifically for Macs?

3) I've heard you can get something or other that lets you run software for PC on your Mac ... but obviously I don't know much about it. Is it a myth or actually out there?

4) Does the case of the iBook scratch easily, like the iPod? Only I'll often be carrying it around in a rucksack along with my other junk, so if it does, I suppose I'll need a sock thing.

5) How long is it possible to leave iBooks on (including while "sleeping") without them going crazy?

If you have any other tips (or know of any resources for recent converts), I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks!

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    1) I found most things on OSX easier to learn than on WinXP or 2K. I would think you will be all-right. There are subtle nuances that will take a bit of time, but overall OSX is pretty easy. There are lots of how to books, search Amazon or your local bookstore.

2) I don't know anything specific about your router, but most of them are industry standard based, so you should be all-right.

3) It's real. It's called Virtual PC (VPC) and it pretty much sucks.

4) Not as easily as the iPod, but yes they scratch. Look HERE for the "Sleeve" thing.

5) There have been some issues with sleep, but fore the most part, you can leave them on indefinitely. I would not leave it on inside the backpack for to long as airflow would be restricted and you run into heat dissipation issues.

Specs:
    MacBook
    OK...here goes...

1) I've always been good with picking up how to work things (instruction booklets are for the weak), but I've heard that OS X is particularly hard to master. Is it worth getting a book on it? Or, if so, are there any online guides that are just as good?

Yes, OS X:The Missing Manual

2) I have BT Broadband and a BT Voyager 2000 Wireless base. Will I be able to connect to it with AirPort, or will I need to look into getting another base specifically for Macs?

You will not need to purchase any new equipment as yours will work fine.

3) I've heard you can get something or other that lets you run software for PC on your Mac ... but obviously I don't know much about it. Is it a myth or actually out there?

Yes, Virtual PC.

4) Does the case of the iBook scratch easily, like the iPod? Only I'll often be carrying it around in a rucksack along with my other junk, so if it does, I suppose I'll need a sock thing.

Yes.

5) How long is it possible to leave iBooks on (including while "sleeping") without them going crazy?

Yes.

If you have any other tips (or know of any resources for recent converts), I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks!

The best tip is to use the search feature of these very forums. Any and all of your questions will be answered by doing so...even the ones you have asked in this post....:black:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sea...Bsessionurl%5D

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Thread Information