New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Formatting external HDD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macnewbie_sg

I have an external HDD which contains 2 partitions of 20Gb each (FAT32). I was sharing files between my PC and iMac until last night that I decided to use the Disk Utility to format one of the partitions as 'Mac OS Extended'.

For some reasons, all my 2 partitions are gone. I can see from the Disk Utility that it is a 40Gb drive without any volumes. I remember reading somewhere that erasing the volume will not affect our volumes. Anyone knows if I can get back my 2 partitions? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

I think your out of luck. Formatting permently erases partitions, except with certain 3rd party utilities. I think that iPartition performs this function.

Sorry to break the news to you.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

He is correct.

QUOTE Thanks
timswim78

timswim78 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlee12
I think your out of luck. Formatting permently erases partitions, except with certain 3rd party utilities. I think that iPartition performs this function.

Sorry to break the news to you.
Formatting does NOT permanently erase your data. It can most likely be recovered with a free or inexpensive recovery utility. Check out http://r-tt.com or google for a Knoppix LiveCD. You may just be able to use a utility to restor your MBR.

I formatted a hdd twich (FAT32) and recovered 2,997 out of 3,014 files. PM me if you need a hand.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Well, I guess he could try it on his PC, since the page doesn't show the App as being Mac compatible. Hope it can see beyond/around the HFS+ format....

it is the most comprehensive data recovery solution for recovery files from FAT12/16/32, NTFS, NTFS5 (created or updated by Windows 2000/XP/2003), Ext2FS/Ext3FS (LINUX file systems) and UFS1/UFS2 (FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD file systems) partitions.

No mention of HFS+ on that list....

QUOTE Thanks
timswim78

timswim78 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Well, I guess he could try it on his PC, since the page doesn't show the App as being Mac compatible. Hope it can see beyond/around the HFS+ format....

it is the most comprehensive data recovery solution for recovery files from FAT12/16/32, NTFS, NTFS5 (created or updated by Windows 2000/XP/2003), Ext2FS/Ext3FS (LINUX file systems) and UFS1/UFS2 (FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD file systems) partitions.

No mention of HFS+ on that list....

The HFS+ should not be a problem. If I read his post correctly, the partitions that he messed up were FAT32, which is probably the easiest file system to restore.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

I see your point....

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« LOst Podcasts | A couple of questions - »