New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Wrong apple ID when doing app update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

margaret438

margaret438 is on a distinguished road

Hi, somehow my DH apple ID is showing up when I try to update my apps on iPhone. How do I get rid of his and get my apple ID in there? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Go to the "featured" page on the App Store. Scroll to the bottom. Tap on the identity that's signed in. Sign out.

Now tap the "Sign in" button and sign in using your Apple ID.
QUOTE Thanks
margaret438

That didn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you want help, you're going to have to provide a lot more detail than that. Psychic Hotline we ain't.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

Not sure what 'DH' means but apps have been acquired under an AppleID are 'tied' to that account.

e.g.
If Fred Flintstone's Apple ID is used to download apps (free or paid for) you need to use Fred's ID and password to update them.

So if Wilma Flintstone comes along she won't be able to update Fred's apps.

So the best advice, if 'DH' is no longer willing or able to use their Apple ID to update apps is for you to download them under you account by following Chas_m's instruction then downloading/buying them yourself.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
margaret438

Sorry I wasn't clear but not really sure how it happened. I will try to explain how I think it may have happened. My husband (DH) and I both have accts on our desktop iMac. I was the first iPhone owner in household. I think, as he was trying to be nice and helpful, I think he synch'd my iPhone under his iMac acct instead of under my iMac acct. I started noticing shortly after that, that when I tried to install one/some of my iPhone apps that his apple id would occasional show up at password stage of doing an iPhone app update. It seems his apple id would show up when I attempted the 'update all' feature.

Yesterday, I moved to mobile iOS 6, so now I'd like to update all my apps. When trying to 'update all' I continue to get his apple id. A couple of them I've updated singularly and don't seem to always encounter that problem. So before posting, we went thru each of the apps available for update and I deleted off the apps that more than likely may have been tied to him (things like banking apps, etc). There are may be a few apps that we both have like around me, but really not many since we use iPhone for different purposes.

I'm the 'old and dumb' type user now and the frustration of fixing/resolving problems is great, so I haven't synch'd my iPhone since nor my ipad2 at all to the iMac. I hope someone can help me unravel this. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Unfortunately, when you install apps from multiple Apple IDs onto a single device and then want to update those apps and only use a single Apple ID, it's going to be a problem.

What you have done thus far - deleting any apps tied to his Apple ID rather than yours is really your only option.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

Or you can enter his password to update those apps and enter your ID and password to update your apps.
It's all about which AppleID was used to buy/download which apps.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
margaret438

:-(. Thank you
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Viewing slideshow iphoto | IPhoto slideshow »