New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to retrieve files from time capsule

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jinx7

Jinx7 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

The hardrive on my IMac recently died and the files could not be retrieved unfortunately.I was using the time capsule to back up my files. How do I transfer these files from my time capsule to the new hardrive installed on my iMac?

It says there is 700GB of data stored on the time capsule, but I have had no luck retrieving the files. When I enter time machine on my iMac it shows the dates of my backups (since 2010) and the text down the left side is in purple (not white). However, when I click on the timeline there are no files.

Any suggestions welcome as I have all my photos/music on the time capsule.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You will use the 'Migration Assistant' application.

See here - scroll down and open the "Restoring data from TM" section - then to "Migrating a Time Machine backup to a new Mac"

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
techo91

techo91 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17'' late 2010, core i7 2.66, 4 Gb ram

When you enter in Time Machine, can you browse in the Finder window?
You can also manually enter the disk and retrieve your content from there.
Click on the Time Capsule icon in Finder

open the Data volume and locate the file named "Your-computer-name.sparsebundle"
(Your-computer-name - this is the name of your computer)
Finder will mount it as "Time Machine Backups" and then again click on it to see the backups.

Scroll all the way down to the Shortcut "Latest". Click it.You will see your hard drive name. Browse to the files you want to transfer. and copy them to your new hard drive.
A lot easier to use Migration Assistant.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro overheating | left click problems »