New Mac Owner - advice requested!
I've just ordered a MacBook Pro 13" and am looking at what I use on my PC and hence what I need to find equivalents of.
I've done lots of digging but have 2 that I'm still left scratching my head about...
Aye - Preview is quite a powerful built in App
Mac 101: Preview - which can do resize, export formats, crop - all built in. It can even modify PDFs to some extent.
Pretty much all FOSS editors are available in one form or another for Mac - you didn't say what you were coding
Aquamac - Emacs which has a bunch of editing modes which are very powerful
Aquamacs: Emacs for Mac OS X
Good old Vim
macvim - Vim for the Mac - Google Project Hosting
Xcode has a code editor available (can get it from the app store)
Textwrangler (on the appstore should be free)
Bare Bones Software | TextWrangler
Mac App Store - TextWrangler
and bbedit (not free or too cheap at $49.99)
Bare Bones Software | BBEdit 10
However, I am looking for something that works on both Windows and Mac. I don't need anything too fancy - no IDE - just a syntax highlighting notepad if the truth if known. However, I'm resistant to very basic Vim-style editors.
Here is a comparison of IrfanView features and some of Preview that comes on your Mac
Some IrfanView features:
▪ Many supported file formats
▪ Multi language support Preview does
▪ Thumbnail/preview option Preview does
▪ Paint option - to draw lines, circles, arrows, straighten image etc. Preview Annotates with arrows, boxes, circles and text
▪ Toolbar skins option No
▪ Slideshow (save slideshow as EXE/SCR or burn it to CD) Preview does slide shows, but to save or burn use iPhoto or iMovie
▪ Show EXIF/IPTC/Comment text in Slideshow/Fulloes etc. Preview No, iPhoto yes
▪ Support for Adobe Photoshop Filters No
▪ Fast directory view (moving through directory) Preview does
▪ Batch conversion (with image processing) Preview does somethings like resize or rotate
▪ Multipage TIF editing Don't know
▪ File search Preview does
▪ Email option Preview does
▪ Multimedia player Preview No, Quicklook yes
▪ Print option Preview does
▪ Support for embedded color profiles in JPG/TIF Preview does
▪ Change color depth Don't kmow
▪ Scan (batch scan) support Preview does
▪ Cut/crop Preview does
▪ IPTC editing Preview does
▪ Effects (Sharpen, Blur, Adobe 8BF, Filter Factory, Filters Unlimited, etc.) Preview does Sharpen and Color Correction but no Adobe filters
▪ Screen Capturing Preview does
▪ Extract icons from EXE/DLL/ICLs No EXE, DLL's or ICL's on a Mac
▪ Lossless JPG rotation Preview does
▪ Unicode support Preview ?
▪ Many hotkeys Preview does
▪ Many command line options No
▪ Many PlugIns No
▪ Only one EXE-type file, no DLLs, no Shareware messages like "I Agree" or "Evaluation expired" Preview is only one file, there are no DLLs on a Mac and of course no Nag screens
▪ No registry changes without user action/permission! No registry on a Mac
▪ and much much more Preview does PDF's as well as images
Thanks for all the excellent advice - I'll give them all a look-see!
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.