New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mountain Lion Won't Install On 2010 MacBook Pro

Thread Closed

fitnstrong

fitnstrong is on a distinguished road

After I downloaded the Mountain Lion; it won't install because it says my hard drive is on a back up drive for the time machine. I've never used Time Machine and I only have one hard drive, Any suggestions on how to resolve this?
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

As per this article:
Bugs & Fixes: Troubleshooting Installing Mac OS X Lion | Macworld

Quote:
This message again means that the Lion installation will not successfully complete. The message can appear even though your startup drive is obviously not acting as a Time Machine backup. As covered in an Apple Support Communities thread, the likely cause is an errant Time Machine-related Backups.backupdb folder at the root level of your drive. This folder, created by and used by Time Machine, is fooling the Install app into thinking your startup drive is actually a Time Machine backup. The solution is to delete the folder.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
fitnstrong

fitnstrong is on a distinguished road

Thank you but I am having a problem locating this folder to delete. Where do I locate it?
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

It'd be at the root level of your hard drive. In the top folder where you'll see folders named System, Library, Users, and Applications. In the Finder, just click on your hard drive's icon in the sidebar to get there.

Of course, this is all assuming that the folder is there and thus the cause of your problem.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

You're not using Time Machine?!?!?
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
You're not using Time Machine?!?!?
It would be rather pointless to use it on the internal drive, now wouldn't it?

------
------
Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

Sure it would . . . I was just hinting that everyone should back up their stuff. OK...I'll butt out.
Rafsob

Rafsob is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I think he told you he was having a problem with Mountain Lion, not Lion. This link is useless.
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

He pointed to that article because the problem and fix are the same. He knows what he's doing....
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

@fitnstrong

Do not cross post! You've now posted this same subject three times in two forums. Only post one time and continue with the same thread until it's resolved. Your cross posts have been removed.
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafsob View Post
I think he told you he was having a problem with Mountain Lion, not Lion. This link is useless.

So Chuckles, you "think" he told me…??? Get back to me when you are more certain. LOL! And while yer at it, since you are such a whiz, we're all ears for advice of your own for the OP's problem. Mine wasn't godsend nor was it ever portrayed as such, but was the best and most likely culprit at the time.

------
------
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Having successfully (and remarkably easily!) installed Mountain Lion on a 2009 MacBook Pro, I know for a fact that it can run on a 2010 MacBook Pro.

Time Machine will back up changes to the machine's own internal HD if it is TURNED ON and there is no external HD present. So my guess would be that TM is turned on. Turning it off may be all that is necessary to make the upgrade work.
DRose1

DRose1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB. Version 10.6.8

Hey,

I think I have the same issue.
The only difference is that I downloaded Mountain Lion as a torrent (from a trusted source)
Mountain Lion won't install, I turned off the Time Machine thingy, but that didn't help.
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRose1 View Post
Hey,

I think I have the same issue.
The only difference is that I downloaded Mountain Lion as a torrent (from a trusted source)
Mountain Lion won't install, I turned off the Time Machine thingy, but that didn't help.
We're not going to help you install a pirated copy of anything.
If you want Mountain Lion - spend the $20.
This thread is now closed.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Closed

« wireless hookup with mac book pro | Excel shortcuts completely changed. Virus? »