New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

password protection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

section8joe

section8joe is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 1.25 15inch powerbook

whenever i try to move stuff from the finder it asks for my password. How do i disable this feature???
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

Not sure, just to let you know about it, (as i've read about in magazines), this is a security measure designed so that nothing is downloaded without your permission. Or moved without you authorizing it or so forth

check out www.macworld.com I read an article a long time ago there.

Pierre

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
jn4jenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8joe
whenever i try to move stuff from the finder it asks for my password. How do i disable this feature???
My only thought is that you might have FileVault turned on, in which case you should check System Preferences -> Security and either un-check "Disable automatic login" or, if you didn't want FireVault on anyway, click "Turn Off FireVault."

If you don't have FireVault on, then I'm stumped.
QUOTE Thanks
section8joe

section8joe is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 1.25 15inch powerbook

filevault is turned off? I don't know what else to check??????
QUOTE Thanks

Hi, i bought a 2nd hand iBook and need to reinstall new OS X. The problem is, it kept asking me provide id and password set by the previous owner. How do i go about this if i don't know the password? I have no idea where or who is the previous owner. I can't use the iBook!!

Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

pop in the cd and hold c, then from the cd go to password reset (or something like that i havent done this in awhile). select him the reset the password..
QUOTE Thanks

Hi iWonder,

The problem is, i don't have the CD with me and i need to install it urgently. I read about the reboot in the web but if i don;t have the CD, what can i do??
i'm in dire straits... i just hop on to the MAC wagon and now.....
QUOTE Thanks
jn4jenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar77
Hi iWonder,

The problem is, i don't have the CD with me and i need to install it urgently. I read about the reboot in the web but if i don;t have the CD, what can i do??
i'm in dire straits... i just hop on to the MAC wagon and now.....
If you don't have either the iBook Restore CD or an OS X CD, then there's nothing that you can do. You need to get the CD (it's very unusual that your iBook wasn't sold with it--try contacting the seller and see if they forgot to include it.)
QUOTE Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn4jenny
If you don't have either the iBook Restore CD or an OS X CD, then there's nothing that you can do. You need to get the CD (it's very unusual that your iBook wasn't sold with it--try contacting the seller and see if they forgot to include it.)
Hi jn4jenny,

Thanks. I have the CD already. Just that this is a 2nd hand iBook which i don't know the owner and don't have the CD with it.

cheers!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ichat Drag And Drop Question | Received my first Mac! »