New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Annoyed USB flash drive problem, please help!

Thread Closed

Maxwell690

I recently bought a 256mb USB flash drive to help me transfer files between my pc at work and my mac at home. Yesterday I tried to free up some space on the flash drive as it was nearly full and I wanted to transfer some files onto it. I kept deleting files of the memory stick, they'd disappear but no new space appeared on the memory stick. Unable to get the files I wanted onto the flash drive I had to burn a cd.

I came into work today and plugged the USB flash drive into my pc and there was a file called .Trashes that was over 100Mb in size. This contained all the files that I had deleted the night before. I proceeded to delete this file and the space appeared as it should have.

What am I doing wrong? How do I create space on my flash drive on my Mac without the .Trashes file being created or at least deleted when something else is trying to be written to the space.

Thanks in advance for any replies, they are much appreciated.

Max
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

If you delete something on your drive, you need to empty your trash can on the mac for it to free up the space.

Just ctrl-click your trash in the dock when your flash drive is open in finder and select empty trash.
Maxwell690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
If you delete something on your drive, you need to empty your trash can on the mac for it to free up the space.

Just ctrl-click your trash in the dock when your flash drive is open in finder and select empty trash.
Even if its from an external source, not the hard drive?
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yep: OS X keeps a separate trash file for each connected drive: If you use OS X to delete stuff on your flash drive, it doesn't copy everything into your harddrive's trash, it places it into the flash drive's trash.

That's the hidden .trash file you saw. You can empty the flash drives trash by selecting it in the finder and then selecting empty trash from the Finder menu. (or hit Shift+Command+Backspace).
Maxwell690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Yep: OS X keeps a separate trash file for each connected drive: If you use OS X to delete stuff on your flash drive, it doesn't copy everything into your harddrive's trash, it places it into the flash drive's trash.

That's the hidden .trash file you saw. You can empty the flash drives trash by selecting it in the finder and then selecting empty trash from the Finder menu. (or hit Shift+Command+Backspace).
Seems a bit of a wierd way to have to do it, but cheers for the advice!
ndiaz

ndiaz is on a distinguished road

Is there any way for the Mac not to create this .Trash folder for external drives?
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

not likely. but i'm guessing that if you do work with the drive on a windows machine you could set the properties of .trashes to hidden in windows.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

Download this widget (Hidden Files)
http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb...ddenfiles.html
This turns on/off hidden files.
Handy to ensure all files are off USB drive.
Tanner31593

Tanner31593 has a spectacular aura about

This happened to me too, i never posted about it here but i should have i got so mad i was like screaming at the computer because i never thought to empty the trash lol.
ndiaz

ndiaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
...That's the hidden .trash file you saw. You can empty the flash drives trash by selecting it in the finder and then selecting empty trash from the Finder menu. (or hit Shift+Command+Backspace).
I tried this but my Mac empty first the HD Trash. Is there a way to empty just the Trash in the flash drive?

N!
GroovyLinuxGuy

GroovyLinuxGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10

If you want to directly empty the usb stick, you can open Terminal and type

cd /Volumes/<name_of_your_flash_drive>/
sudo rm -r .Trashes

You may or may not need to use sudo, but it doesn't hurt

To get a list of all the hidden files on that drive (or any other) you can type

ls -al

and you should see the files there

Cheers
Bucknut102

Bucknut102 is on a distinguished road

Is there an Applescript that can accomplish this too?
GroovyLinuxGuy

GroovyLinuxGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknut102 View Post
Is there an Applescript that can accomplish this too?
There probably is, but when I googled it, I didn't find any that really worked.

This might be a handy way to go about it though:

http://theappleblog.com/2007/04/30/q...-hidden-files/

Cheers
blueshoelaces

blueshoelaces is on a distinguished road

Thank god for Macs and their idiot-proof methodologies. -_-
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I don't understand why everyone is suggesting these incredibly complex ways of doing a simple task. Has Mac-Forum been taken over by Windows or something?

With the USB drive still mounted, empty the trash. That's it. Simple. Done.

Thread Closed

« I've always wanted one | getting new imac »