New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

how do i erase media player

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eatinwokout

Anyway I bought my first Apple product, an iBook g4 with OS X panther. And for the record, I would just like to admit that I have never had comuting so easy. These macs are so simple and easy to understand. I should have made thise switch years ago. But anyway, I have a problem. I know that to erase programs or files I just drag them to the trash icon on the dock. So I decided i didnt want the Microsoft media player on my perfect mac, hex microsoft. So i dragged the program and folder from applications to the trash. Then when I tried emptying the trash it said it was unable to because the files within where locked. So I prompted it to continue anyway, but then found out that the program and folder had not been deleted. Sooo, I dragged the folder(with media player within), back to applications because I wasn't able to empty the trash with it in it. I had other files dragged to trash after trying to delete the player and was unable to delete other files with the media player in it.

Has that stupid microsoft program messed up my perfect iBook? How do I get rid of that damn program?

Oh when I try and open the media player it unexpectedly quits. So now I just have it sitting in my applications folder taking up space and annoying me.

Any help please?
QUOTE Thanks
malt

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatinwokout
Anyway I bought my first Apple product, an iBook g4 with OS X panther. And for the record, I would just like to admit that I have never had comuting so easy. These macs are so simple and easy to understand. I should have made thise switch years ago. But anyway, I have a problem. I know that to erase programs or files I just drag them to the trash icon on the dock. So I decided i didnt want the Microsoft media player on my perfect mac, hex microsoft. So i dragged the program and folder from applications to the trash. Then when I tried emptying the trash it said it was unable to because the files within where locked. So I prompted it to continue anyway, but then found out that the program and folder had not been deleted. Sooo, I dragged the folder(with media player within), back to applications because I wasn't able to empty the trash with it in it. I had other files dragged to trash after trying to delete the player and was unable to delete other files with the media player in it.

Has that stupid microsoft program messed up my perfect iBook? How do I get rid of that damn program?

Oh when I try and open the media player it unexpectedly quits. So now I just have it sitting in my applications folder taking up space and annoying me.

Any help please?
You could maybe just open terminal.app, change into that folder, or the folder above it, then type "sudo rm -r the/path/to/that/directory". That should kill it. THen you can use finders search function to find all the files media player craps out on your hard drive. Hope that works.
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Right or control click on the folder, choose Get Info. There's a checkbox (under Permissions I think) that I find is sometimes checked against my will >
QUOTE Thanks
avcabob

avcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB

I was having the same problem. What I did was right or control click on the media player application itself and choose Show Package Contente and brows around and unlock all locked files by control clicking on them, Get Info, and make sure Locked is unchecked. Locked files will also have a small lock on the lower left side of the icon. There were a lot of files for me, most of which were html help files in all the different languages, and just trying to unlock a folder didn't work but it didn't take too long. And now media player is gone.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video Output with G4 Powerbook - bit of help please | Making Accounts for OS X »