New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Can I run panther on an 333mhz g3 emac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

section8joe

section8joe is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 1.25 15inch powerbook

I might buy one for $25. Can i run panther on it? Would it be too slow
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8joe
I might buy one for $25. Can i run panther on it? Would it be too slow
You certainly can. I run Panther quite nicely on my 315 MHz G3. Assuming it's in good shape, $25 is a great price.

I should note, however, that you will want to have a decent amount of RAM (at least 256 MB) installed in order to run Panther.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
section8joe

section8joe is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 1.25 15inch powerbook

it has 64mb of ram. Im gonna have to get some.
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

I use Panther on a 333. Even with the G4 upgrade it doesn't match my G4 eMac but it is a solid performer. You'll need a minimum of 128 mbs of RAM to install Panther and you really need more. Max the RAM and watch your hard disk space. These models had only a 6 gb HD. Since a full install of X can run close to 3 gbs space can get tight quickly. You might want to got to Low End Mac and check out the info about upgrading these models.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have a 333 Grape iMac G3. Panther runs great. Sure it will not match a G4 but it's still very useable. Up the RAM as much as you can. Most will go up to 512Megs. 256 will get you by in the beginning. Read www.lowendmac.com and check out the iMac section.
QUOTE Thanks
pistooli

pistooli is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2 GHz, 20"

same here... my GF is using a G3 iMac with 256 MB RAM and Panther... and she loves it... :-)

MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Tiger 10.4.x
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is it just me? with osX | Several questions... »