New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Best software to remove duplicate files and pictures

Thread Closed

Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

Hi All . . . I have found many instances of duplicated photos and music files on my hdd. I have no idea how that happened...or when. I am shopping for the best and safest app to remove duplicate files and photos and free up wasted hdd space. I am asking the pros here what they use (or would use). Thank you in advance for any help or recommendations.
Dogbreath

Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

Thanks chas_m . . .
I was playing with Aperture trying to learn it without RTFM and duplicated photos and stored them in weird places. It is about time for a clean install anyway...I'll live with them for now. But I do appreciate your suggestions.
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Take a look at Find Duplicate Files for Mac*OS*X. I've been using it for a while and found it does all i need in this area.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

I have (free) dupeguru (all dupes), dupe_me (Music), dupe_pe (pictures). I found they worked well.. I also tried Araxis Find Duplicate Files (I used it mostly for music) and found that dupeguru found more duplicates and Araxis would also mark a file as duplicate when it wasn't.. I did like it's ability to find items without duplicates. I found that feature most useful because I wanted to erase files from Time Machine and also found files that were in one backup but not in the latest etc., I just wish it worked better than the free dupeguru but all is well

I also have been trying to get my head around and work with Back In Time and Backloupe and now also Crashplan (from what it sounds like it gets rid of duplicates..

Good luck

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
tada

tada is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, 21", 2.7 GHz Core iS, 12 GB, 1333 MHz DDR 3

Hi, I needed to do some cleaning up, primarily of documents, but also photos. Was recommended
EasyDuplicateFinder, which I bought. Found it easy to use, and it certainly did the job for me.
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

I've used Gemini. Seems to work well for me. You just drag the folder you want checked to the application and it finds duplicated files for you. Doesn't take automatic actions, lets you make the decision.
Dogbreath

@joshuarobers . . .It would probably work great if I had a Windows computer...that is Windows software. On what basis do you recommend this software? Did you even read the system requirements?
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
He's a spammer. That's what they do.
Not anymore

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
Dogbreath

Thanks for taking him out!

Thread Closed

« Dvd Install Imac | Is there a way to disable the incessant password requirement? »