New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Lion to Mountain Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TamPepper

TamPepper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro early 2012running Mavericks,MacMini Core i7 running Mavericks: iPhone 4s, iPad 3rd Gen

My MacBook Pro is a few months old and had Lion pre installed

As I have been getting to grips with the Mac and Lion after many many years with PC's, I have a query regarding upgrading the operating system.

I have, a couple of times, reverted to formating the drive at boot and re installling Lion.
This has been trouble free. I did this just to see how it worked.

However, my question is, If, when I purchase Mountain Lion, will that overwrite the recovery partition therefor, Lion would no longer be available for re installation ?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

That's a reasonable question. It's only the second time OSX has been available as a download and in-place install so there's no precedence set.

You create yourself a Lion install DVD and/or USB stick so that, for whatever reason, you have a way back.

Here's a link to one of many guides out there:
http://lifehacker.com/5823096/how-to...or-flash-drive

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MBPi5

MBPi5 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model

i got mine through the app store so whenever i go into the app store i hold option whilst clicking on the purchases tab and i can then reinstall lion through a recovery mode. That is if you got it in the app store. if not the suggestion above is even better. but some options for you

13" Macbook Pro intel core i5
Iphone 4S.
SR
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

That was my point..... There's no saying that option will or won't be available once Mountain Lion has been installed. So a hard copy will definitely give you the choice.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
TamPepper

Mac Specs: MacBookPro early 2012running Mavericks,MacMini Core i7 running Mavericks: iPhone 4s, iPad 3rd Gen

When looking at purchases in the app store, Lion is not listed
Is it possible to make a DVD from the recovert partiton ?
QUOTE Thanks
MBPi5

MBPi5 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model

probably because it came preinstalled, i was just saying if you purchased it in the app store that option "may" be available to you. As mrplow points out that it may not be available in mountain lion, but if it is then it certainly is an option.

13" Macbook Pro intel core i5
Iphone 4S.
SR
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Sorry skipped the new mac info, it can still be done. Info here:
Create a bootable Lion install drive for newer Macs | Macworld

QUOTE Thanks
TamPepper

That looks like the answer
I will give this a go sometime later and post my experience

One question first though.
I use a 1Tb drive for TimeMachine and the only other drive I have is a Windows drive
Is it possible to use that to store the first part of the procedure before making the Pen drive boot disk
QUOTE Thanks
TamPepper

OOPS
Forget the question.
I see it has to be Mac formatted and I will now use a 32Gb pen drive for the procedure
QUOTE Thanks
TamPepper

Well that was trouble free.
I followed the link you gave.
I now have Lion on a bootable pen drive

Thanks for that
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Glad it worked for you. Thanks for posting back.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How much is my mac worth? | Don't think I can hold out much longer »